Related Article: Take an ECG with the ECG app on Apple Watch

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch crown not picking up heart rate ecg

Defective crown? Won’t pick up pulse for ecg

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 1:21 PM

Not sure which model. Purchased new in 2019. First model to have ECG. Worked great until recently. Yes, snug on my wrist. iOS updated to most current, but update did not change the issue. Same on both wrists. HR monitor which uses the sensor on the bottom of the watch works fine. But ecg which uses both the sensor on the bottom and the one on the crown will not run. I deleted the app and reinstalled. Problem persists. Also shut down and restarted watch. No change. The app opens but does not sense any finger on the crown. One in ten tries it will sense the finger, but after 3 seconds it quits.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2023 1:21 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Not sure which model. Purchased new in 2019. First model to have ECG. Worked great until recently. Yes, snug on my wrist. iOS updated to most current, but update did not change the issue. Same on both wrists. HR monitor which uses the sensor on the bottom of the watch works fine. But ecg which uses both the sensor on the bottom and the one on the crown will not run. I deleted the app and reinstalled. Problem persists. Also shut down and restarted watch. No change. The app opens but does not sense any finger on the crown. One in ten tries it will sense the finger, but after 3 seconds it quits.

Jan 9, 2023 1:27 PM in response to Rafbogs

Try a Forced Restart:

Press and hold BOTH the digital crown AND elongated side power buttons at the SAME TIME. Keep holding both in until the screen goes dark and keep holding both until the Apple Logo appears, then let go of both buttons. This can take several seconds. Sign in when prompted and see if ECG function is working as it should.

If no, then schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar for evaluation and options.

Apple Watch crown not picking up heart rate ecg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.