Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore to factory setting iOS 10, without restriction passcode

Hi, I have moved my son's apple account from one iPad - 4th gen, iOS 10 - to another, along with its restriction passcode. I wanted to reset the old iPad to factory setting so I can pass it on to someone else, but for some reason I am getting an error when trying to enter the restriction passcode. I even tried to remove the restrictions from his account so I can reset the device but it is still asking for the passcode and returning an error. How can I reset it? Please can you help me?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 12:59 PM

Hi Anoshnea,

If the restrictions passcode is forgotten, you will need to restore the iPad to factory settings to remove that. The steps below show how you would do that:

"Put your iPad in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that your Mac is up to date. If you're using iTunes, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes
  2. On a Mac with macOS Catalina, open Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes. If iTunes is already open, close it, then open it again. Find out which macOS your Mac is using.
  3. Keep your iPad connected and wait until the recovery mode screen appears:
    • For an iPad without a Home button: Press and quickly release the volume button closest to the top button. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button. Press and hold the top button.
    • For an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold both the Home and the top (or side) buttons at the same time. 

4. Keep holding the button (or buttons) until you see the recovery mode screen

5. Locate your iPad on your computer. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. Your computer will try to reinstall the software without erasing your data. Wait while your computer downloads the software for your iPad. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your iPad exits the recovery mode screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.

6. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your iPad."

You can skip the last step since you are wanting to give the iPad to someone else. Those steps are from this article: If you can't update or restore your iPad - Apple Support

We hope that helps.

Take care!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2023 12:59 PM in response to Anoshnea

Hi Anoshnea,

If the restrictions passcode is forgotten, you will need to restore the iPad to factory settings to remove that. The steps below show how you would do that:

"Put your iPad in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that your Mac is up to date. If you're using iTunes, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes
  2. On a Mac with macOS Catalina, open Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes. If iTunes is already open, close it, then open it again. Find out which macOS your Mac is using.
  3. Keep your iPad connected and wait until the recovery mode screen appears:
    • For an iPad without a Home button: Press and quickly release the volume button closest to the top button. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button. Press and hold the top button.
    • For an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold both the Home and the top (or side) buttons at the same time. 

4. Keep holding the button (or buttons) until you see the recovery mode screen

5. Locate your iPad on your computer. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. Your computer will try to reinstall the software without erasing your data. Wait while your computer downloads the software for your iPad. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your iPad exits the recovery mode screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.

6. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your iPad."

You can skip the last step since you are wanting to give the iPad to someone else. Those steps are from this article: If you can't update or restore your iPad - Apple Support

We hope that helps.

Take care!

Restore to factory setting iOS 10, without restriction passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.