Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to upgrade my Apple watch series 2 to be compatible with my new Iphone 14?

Do I have to upgrade my Apple watch series 2 to be compatible with my new Iphone 14?

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 7:20 AM

It looks like you'd need to update your watch.

My statement is based on this:

- watchOS 9 requires iPhone 8 or later with iOS 16 or later and one of the following Apple Watch models:

• Apple Watch Series 4
  • Apple Watch Series 5
  • Apple Watch SE
  • Apple Watch Series 6
  • Apple Watch Series 7
  • Apple Watch Series 8
  • Apple Watch Ultra

Not all features are available on all devices or in all regions or languages.

Which I got from here:

watchOS 9 - Apple

But... I'm not sure how recent of a watchOS update a Series 2 is capable of. Maybe a Series 2 can't be updated to wOS 9. If that's true, then there might still be a chance!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2023 7:20 AM in response to gvahearn

It looks like you'd need to update your watch.

My statement is based on this:

- watchOS 9 requires iPhone 8 or later with iOS 16 or later and one of the following Apple Watch models:

• Apple Watch Series 4
  • Apple Watch Series 5
  • Apple Watch SE
  • Apple Watch Series 6
  • Apple Watch Series 7
  • Apple Watch Series 8
  • Apple Watch Ultra

Not all features are available on all devices or in all regions or languages.

Which I got from here:

watchOS 9 - Apple

But... I'm not sure how recent of a watchOS update a Series 2 is capable of. Maybe a Series 2 can't be updated to wOS 9. If that's true, then there might still be a chance!

Jan 10, 2023 9:43 AM in response to gvahearn

Theoretically fully updated series 2 (OS 6.3) will pair with any iphone. Ensure the iphone 14 is on iOS 16.2

However pairing series 3 is 50:50 chance with a following wind, series 2 is even more difficult, simply down to the low RAM that these 6 year old designs have.

Good luck, you'll need it.

Or get a new watch - even an SE2022 is a quantum leap over the series 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.