Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The never-ending poor UX that is iCloud syncing

I guess the very best of services always have something that ranks as its worst feature, and for me that's iCloud syncing in Apple's case. Awesome when it works. Miserably frustrating to fix when it does not.

In Finder, I have View _ Show View Options _ Show Status Bar which produces this:

Now to me, "uploading 32.869 items" may be read as "thirty two thousand local items are not yet in iCloud".

Is this interpretation correct? When logging into icloud.com in my browser, I can see a handful of recent files that are not synced and many that are.

Any and all comments most welcome. Thanks in advance for helping me understand.

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 3:29 AM

Another 24 hours, and it appears iCloud sync's constipation has randomly unblocked itself.

The reference to "uploading" is gone from the status in Finder.

And there are no icons to the right of "iCloud Drive" in Finder.

In the absence of any logs or debugging facility, I will never know why iCloud sync got constipated, or why the constipation cleared, which is not particularly reassuring.

So I will close this thread, but not with any great satisfaction.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2023 3:29 AM in response to psheldrake

Another 24 hours, and it appears iCloud sync's constipation has randomly unblocked itself.

The reference to "uploading" is gone from the status in Finder.

And there are no icons to the right of "iCloud Drive" in Finder.

In the absence of any logs or debugging facility, I will never know why iCloud sync got constipated, or why the constipation cleared, which is not particularly reassuring.

So I will close this thread, but not with any great satisfaction.

Jan 11, 2023 2:32 AM in response to psheldrake

A new day. Let's check to see what useful (?!) information my Macbook deigns to impart about my iCloud sync status today.

What does this mean? On the one hand the verb is still present tense — uploading. The item count remains unchanged, but the figures in parentheses now match. So, has it synced or not? No idea. So we have a status bar that fails to unambiguously convey the status.

Interestingly, I found this little progress bar behind my browser, never before seen.

Weirdly, the numbers indicate to me that it's done, but the blue bar indicates that it isn't.

This is such substandard UX that I keep questioning if it's a PBKAC. But no. I suspect it's Apple.

#fail

Jan 11, 2023 9:56 AM in response to psheldrake

Apparently, you get the progress bar pictured immediately above by clicking the icon to the right of "iCloud Drive" in Finder. I must have done that.

Anyway. There has been absolutely no change in the progress bar since I posted the screenshot above. And given Apple's silence on the matter, there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. Joy. Still, I guess there are people out there facing bigger life challenges than this. Annoying though.

Jan 10, 2023 11:06 AM in response to muguy

How, if my macbook is never offline nor sync'ing paused, did a backlog of thirty two thousand items / six and a half gig form in the first place?!

Whatever happened today, and I didn't change anything, it's appears to be catching up with itself now. The parentheses in the screenshot above now reads (6,14 GB of 6,47 GB).

It's a shame because it would be nice to just rely in iCloud syncing, but one feels one cannot.

I'll leave the post open a while longer — perhaps until the sync is caught up tomorrow — in case anyone else wants to vent about this 😜

The never-ending poor UX that is iCloud syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.