Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy files from TIme Machine back up to a new location

So I have an external hard drive that is dying. I am trying to copy files from the dying drive to a new external hard drive and it keeps getting errors.

Is there a way to copy files from Time Machine to this new hard drive. I DO NOT want to change my back up drive.

If I hit Restore, it will just copy the files to the dying hard drive. How can I get it to copy to the new external hard drive?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 10:34 AM

In the Time Machine viewer, navigate to the file(s) you want to restore, then Control-click (or two-finger tap, or right click... whatever is your preference) then select "Restore <item> to..." from the contextual menu.

That will exit the TM interface and present you with the familiar "file save" dialog where you can select the restore location.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2023 10:34 AM in response to FredJung

In the Time Machine viewer, navigate to the file(s) you want to restore, then Control-click (or two-finger tap, or right click... whatever is your preference) then select "Restore <item> to..." from the contextual menu.

That will exit the TM interface and present you with the familiar "file save" dialog where you can select the restore location.

Copy files from TIme Machine back up to a new location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.