Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad for Student

I have no idea which Ipad i should get. I am a college student majoring in Business and Fashion. I need something to take notes, look at emails, edit things, etc. I am getting an Ipad because my Macbook Air does not let me draw notes. I like to take my notes hand written on the copy of notes presented by professor which calls for digital notes. I used to have a Surface Pro and loved it. Which Ipad is most like that? Thanks

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 6:23 AM

“Best” is subjective.  Only you can decide upon your needs, expectations and budget. Perhaps seek advice from your tutors.

All current iPad models share the same iPadOS16 Operating System - and all have broadly the same core capabilities. Models essentially differ in their performance and physical attributes. iPad Pro models use FaceID for biometric user-authentication, while other use TouchID.

You can compare iPad models here:

iPad - Compare Models - Apple

The iPad9 is the current entry-level iPad. The iPads Pro are the opposite end of the scale - top of the range, with cutting edge capabilities and hardware. Between these two extremes is the iPad Air5, this model offering a mid-range high performance option. The new iPad10 is cheaper than the iPad Air - and differs in position of the front-facing camera. The iPad mini6 is perhaps an entirely different proposition - offering a smaller form factor and other differences in hardware and ultimate capability.

All current models of iPad support either the first or second generation Apple Pencil. For handwritten notes and sketches, this will be relevant. Ensure that you choose the correct Apple Pencil for your chosen iPad - as they are not interchangeable. Here is the definitive compatibility list:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

Whichever iPad model you choose, you would be well advised to purchase as much internal storage as your budget might reasonably allow - as internal storage (and other hardware) cannot be changed, upgraded or extended. The available internal storage is fixed for the entire life of the device. If you run out of internal storage for your documents, photos and other data, you will forever struggle and become a source of frustration. It is far better to have more storage than you need, than to need more storage than you have.

A good rule of thumb is to quantify how much data storage you will need - add a healthy margin - then double it. If you are unable to quantify your data storage needs, it becomes more difficult. Whilst I and others cannot cannot make definitive recommendations for your personal needs, objectively I would council against purchase of any iPad with any less than 256GB storage.

Within the Apple Support Communities we see regular tales of woe and disappointment when storage requirements are exceeded, necessitating replacement of the device; by contrast, we never see complaint of having too much available storage. It is relatively easy to fill limited internal storage space; perhaps consider higher tiers of storage as providing room for growth as your needs develop or mature - potentially extending the useful usable life of the device. 

Consider also the functional differences between WiFi Only and WiFi+Cellular models of iPad. Only WiFi+Cellular models include GPS capabilities - which may impact any Apps or features that require accurate and consistent location data, such as Mapping. Purchase of a WiFi+Cellular model does not commit you to using Cellular connections, but provides this flexibility should it be needed.  WiFi Only models of iPad have no Cellular or GPS functions at all.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2023 6:23 AM in response to doglover1012

“Best” is subjective.  Only you can decide upon your needs, expectations and budget. Perhaps seek advice from your tutors.

All current iPad models share the same iPadOS16 Operating System - and all have broadly the same core capabilities. Models essentially differ in their performance and physical attributes. iPad Pro models use FaceID for biometric user-authentication, while other use TouchID.

You can compare iPad models here:

iPad - Compare Models - Apple

The iPad9 is the current entry-level iPad. The iPads Pro are the opposite end of the scale - top of the range, with cutting edge capabilities and hardware. Between these two extremes is the iPad Air5, this model offering a mid-range high performance option. The new iPad10 is cheaper than the iPad Air - and differs in position of the front-facing camera. The iPad mini6 is perhaps an entirely different proposition - offering a smaller form factor and other differences in hardware and ultimate capability.

All current models of iPad support either the first or second generation Apple Pencil. For handwritten notes and sketches, this will be relevant. Ensure that you choose the correct Apple Pencil for your chosen iPad - as they are not interchangeable. Here is the definitive compatibility list:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

Whichever iPad model you choose, you would be well advised to purchase as much internal storage as your budget might reasonably allow - as internal storage (and other hardware) cannot be changed, upgraded or extended. The available internal storage is fixed for the entire life of the device. If you run out of internal storage for your documents, photos and other data, you will forever struggle and become a source of frustration. It is far better to have more storage than you need, than to need more storage than you have.

A good rule of thumb is to quantify how much data storage you will need - add a healthy margin - then double it. If you are unable to quantify your data storage needs, it becomes more difficult. Whilst I and others cannot cannot make definitive recommendations for your personal needs, objectively I would council against purchase of any iPad with any less than 256GB storage.

Within the Apple Support Communities we see regular tales of woe and disappointment when storage requirements are exceeded, necessitating replacement of the device; by contrast, we never see complaint of having too much available storage. It is relatively easy to fill limited internal storage space; perhaps consider higher tiers of storage as providing room for growth as your needs develop or mature - potentially extending the useful usable life of the device. 

Consider also the functional differences between WiFi Only and WiFi+Cellular models of iPad. Only WiFi+Cellular models include GPS capabilities - which may impact any Apps or features that require accurate and consistent location data, such as Mapping. Purchase of a WiFi+Cellular model does not commit you to using Cellular connections, but provides this flexibility should it be needed.  WiFi Only models of iPad have no Cellular or GPS functions at all.

Ipad for Student

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.