Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to control TV volume with Apple TV remote

I just got a new TV, and after I connected my Apple TV I can't control the volume using the remote. I have reset the remote, the aTV, and the TV (repeatedly). I have HDMI CEC turned on in the TV settings. But in the aTV settings, the only option for volume control is IR - which doesn't seem to be working. Is there a way I can manually pair the IR remote to the TV controls? Or a way to manually force it to use CEC instead? Some other reason why this wouldn't be working?

The remote does successfully control power of the TV, and it works for everything else. I can also successfully pair the TV's own remote to control the aTV. It's specifically ONLY getting the aTV remote to control volume that doesn't work.

The TV is a 'Cello', which is a budget brand.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 11:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 12:35 AM

Try using the Learn New Device procedure in:

Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Volume Control﹥Learn New Device…﹥, then follow the on-screen instructions using the original TV remote.

3 replies

Unable to control TV volume with Apple TV remote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.