Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change the default icon for the Safari app

Hi there,

How do I change the icon for Safari? I tried the usual via the Info and dragging the icon I want over to modify it but that does not work. When I try to alter permissions to READ/WRITE for anything that shows as READ only, I get a Permissions error.

Thanks

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 1:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 2:32 AM

To expand a little more on System Applications.

Specific to Big Sur macOS 11 , macOS 12 Monterey and macOS 13 Ventura

The Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User.

9 replies

Jan 11, 2023 2:20 AM in response to Maz K

I don't think you will be able to do this.

Safari, just like Mail and many other applications that are distributed as part of macOS, is actually in /System/Applications, which is a readonly location.

It just so happens, that, to avoid user confusion, Finder shows the contents of /System/Applications and /Applications as if they were all in /Applications. You can change icons of other applications (even Apple ones) but not those within /System

Change the default icon for the Safari app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.