Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the problem with using HDMI adapter

I use Belkin USB-C to HDMI + Charge Adapter connected to my Macbook pro m1 and my display monitor, and It is quite warm (I can hold it for more than one minute though) but it is warmer when I watched Netflix or Youtube. I am afraid that it will cause damage to MacBook's mainboard.

Is it normal to be warm and warmer in that case?

Do I need to change to Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 2:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 9:44 AM

That appears to be an HDMI and Analog VGA display, ONLY. you have no alternative interfaces.

any adapter than can do the job WILL get hot in use. It is NOT due to malfunction. HDMI uses higher Voltages (5 Volts) than DisplayPort, which uses closer to 3 Volts.

7 replies

Jan 11, 2023 7:56 AM in response to Wrnp

HDMI was invented for consumer TV sets. its use at high resolutions seems like it has a certain amount of black magic involved. It uses higher voltages than DisplayPort or USB or Thunderbolt connections with the same resolutions.

HDMI WILL generate more heat. All these adapters will get hot. Even higher performance models are available, and those can get hot enough to burn your skin in use.

What display make&model are you connecting? you might be better served using a different INTERFACE.

the problem with using HDMI adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.