Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Related Article: Install memory in an iMac

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to upgrade RAM

What is the best way to upgrade my RAM in iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 7:49 AM

in your specific iMac, upgrading the RAM IS NOT a user friendly operation. it is actually EXTREMELY difficult. your best bet would be to have it done by a competent professional.

to see the difficulty level, you can have a look at this page: OWC Memory UpgradesfFor 21.5" iMac with Retina 4K & Non-Retina Display (2017) and scroll down to view the self install videos.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2023 7:49 AM in response to Buzz2985

in your specific iMac, upgrading the RAM IS NOT a user friendly operation. it is actually EXTREMELY difficult. your best bet would be to have it done by a competent professional.

to see the difficulty level, you can have a look at this page: OWC Memory UpgradesfFor 21.5" iMac with Retina 4K & Non-Retina Display (2017) and scroll down to view the self install videos.

Jan 12, 2023 10:20 AM in response to Buzz2985

It may be better to run EtreCheck which will provide us with some details about your computer and its usage including memory usage and summaries of system logs as well as sometimes identifying a slow or failing drive. In addition to possible drive issues, third party software is just as likely to cause performance issues. Post the complete report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

You can check Activity Monitor's memory tab for memory usage. While using the Mac under its heaviest workload, If the Memory Pressure is not red and the "Swap Used" and "Compressed" do not show GBs of RAM, then you have enough memory. If the Memory Pressure is yellow, then you may be borderline on needing extra memory.

I want to upgrade RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.