Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot see usb disk attached to my time capsule

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac Gen1

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 1:59 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 11, 2023 2:05 PM in response to Rotkopf1954

The 3 most common reasons that a USB hard drive will not "show up".

The disk must be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Is it?

The disk cannot be password protected or encrypted

The USB port on the Time Capsule is underpowered, so you may need to use a powered USB hub with the Time Capsule, even if the hard drive has its own power supply

Jan 11, 2023 5:48 PM in response to Rotkopf1954

APFS won't work if you are attaching the drive to the USB port on the Time Capsule, since APFS did not exist at the time that the Time Capsule was designed.

It makes no difference whether the Time Capsule is set up in Bridge Mode or Router Mode as far as handling a USB disk.

So, there are probably two possibilities as far as the Time Capsule not recognizing the USB drive.

1) The drive needs to be set up again as only one partition formatted as Mac

and/or

2) You will need to use a powered USB hub because the port on the Time Capsule is under powered. Did you test this out?

The only other possibility that I can think of is that the USB port on the Time Capsule is an old (and very slow) USB 2.0 design. It may or may not interface with a newer USB 3.0 hard drive, although USB 3.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible.

Jan 12, 2023 5:11 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I reformatted the entire 2TB disk as HFS+, even though I really don't need that much backup space. I also ordered a 4-port USB hub (powered), just in case. I re-connected the USB drive to the Time Capsule, and voila, it mounted to the TC and was available to Time Machine as a backup volume! So, so happy to have people in the Apple community that help us bozo'es sort this stuff out. Thanks so much for the help! PS: yes, I cancelled the usb hub!!!

Jan 11, 2023 5:58 PM in response to Rotkopf1954

Update......as a test I set up a spare USB drive here the same way that your drive is set up......two volumes, one HFS+ and the other APFS.

While my Macs recognize the drive and separate partitions, the Time Capsule does not recognize the drive at all.

So, as suggested already above as a possibility, you will need to try a different partitioning method for your USB drive in addition to possibly using a powered USB hub.

Jan 11, 2023 4:19 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob, for the quick reply.

I have partitioned my 2TB disk into two volumes, one formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and the other with APFS, no password or encryption. The one oddity I may be fighting is my Time Capsule was set up in bridge mode (no WiFi). Using it as an ethernet access point for my downstairs Tivo and TV connections. Is this the issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.