Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trash emptying window stuck in progress

Hi there. After upgrading to Ventura from Monterey I'm having issues with emptying the trash.

When I select the command to empty trash the window with the progress status bar comes up saying "emptying the trash" but it just stays on until I click the "X" box manually.

The trash looks empty after closing the progress window manually by clicking the "X".

Remembering that old problem concerning files not emptying because trashed when locked by some app, I also tried closing all open apps before emptying the trash, but it seems this is not the cause this time.

By closing the emptying progress window manually, I can't know whether the process was finished or not when I close the window, so I'm worried something could go wrong with the process.

I have no idea how to fix this thing.

I can trust the trash status? Are there other methods to check that the trash is effectively empty besides just opening it in the dock?

(note: the issue also persists after Ventura 13.1 update)

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 12:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 1:38 AM

Technical detail Update: checking the trash directory content using the terminal ( ~/.Trash > ls ), I noticed that when the trash emptying window remains stuck in progress files are not removed until I close the window by clicking the "X".

Similar questions

12 replies

Jan 12, 2023 4:46 AM in response to applefab

applefab wrote:

ok but who tells you that the responsible of this issue is google drive? why not dropbox instead? and why one of theme, since none of them is syncing the desktop folder...? I also have other rsr apps like Avira antiviurs just to tell one.

Thank you for that additional important Information

Part 1 of 2

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Additionally, specific to Big Sur macOS 11 and above. The Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User.

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

AntiVirus Developers purposefully Market their product to create a “ Fear Factor “. In so doing, creating a False Need for their Product.

Part 2 of 2

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster and comprise the Operating System

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a portion on each sale. What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

This will include CleanMyMac , This will include BitDefender

This will included Norton Antivirus , Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus, McAfee, MacKeeper, Avast AntiVirus

Ad Guard, Webroot , ESET , Avira , Dr Cleaner Pro Plus

AVG AntiVirus   avira antivirus 

Trustee  

AntiVirus for Mac

F-Secure

Securemac

Read some of the posting and arrive at your own conclusions.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Jan 12, 2023 2:34 AM in response to PRP_53

I tried just now: trash was empty, moved some (copies of...) files from desktop to trash, then empty trash.

And voilà: once again the emptying window stays there indefinitely till I close it manually.

I also tried several times restarting the Mac but the problem persists across resets.

Details is the user would

(sorry I didn't get what you meant)

Jan 12, 2023 6:25 AM in response to PRP_53

Although you may be right about the (un)necessity of antivirus and system optimization sw for Mac, I tried killing all processes related to rsr software, then tried again trashing a file and purging the trash. And the problem was still there.

However, after restarting the Mac the problem finally disappeared (although all the cited rsr apps are now app and running after reboot).

Unfortunately I expect the issue to come back, cause I also believed I got rid of it several times in the past months and then it showed up again.

I have the sensation it could be related to the usage of external hdd drives / pendrives (as you suggested at the the beginning of this discussion) : I'll keep attention to see if it re-appears after unplugging some kind of previously attached external usb storage...

Jan 12, 2023 6:40 AM in response to applefab

The extend of what this Antivirus Software ( or any AV Software ) has inflicted on this computer is up to the User to Decide

IMHO -

There has been sufficient advise offered for the User ( you ) to make an informed and educated choice what the next course of action is required for this computer.

The suggestions have been put forth on a volunteer basis, in good faith and in the best interests of the computer.

Jan 20, 2023 1:43 AM in response to applefab

Well, after having uninstalled Avira just to make you happy (although I was not convinced it was the reason), I can tell it was NOT the reason, since the issue just reappeared today.

By the way, I did NOT connect any external storage after last reboot, so it seems that unfortunately the issue is also not related with opening / trashing files from external storage as we suspected.

At this point I suspect the issue could be originated by gDrive or Dropbox RSR services, but I can't get rid of them since I do use both of them for my job.

Trash emptying window stuck in progress

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.