Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot remove Splashtop remote sound

I have an audio device showing up in my Sound Preferences called "Splashtop Remote Sound."

I have removed the Splashtop app and all vestiges of it that I can find from my HDD.

I have gone into Audio Midi Setup (Applications>Utilities>Audio Midi) but the - symbol for device removal is greyed out.

I have emailed Splashtop tech support. No response.

In addition to being an unwelcome guest, it is hijacking my built-in iMac microphone so that when I answer the phone or use the microphone in my Mac at all, ppl cannot hear me unless I go into sound preferences and switch the preferred input. I just want it gone.

I also had a Parallels input there too, but I found that in ~Library>Audio>Plug-ins>HAL and was able to get rid of it. But I can't find the Splashtop one.

iMac 27″

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 1:23 PM

For anyone else that might be swearing about this particular driver, have a look in:

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SplashtopRemoteSound.driver

Found an entry in the logs by doing:

log show | grep "splashtop" 

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 15, 2023 12:02 PM in response to Skwint961

One way is the following:

1 - Boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

2 - while in Safe mode download and run the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For the software in question you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains Splashtop

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

Jan 22, 2023 4:12 PM in response to Skwint961

I'm having this same problem too. In the upper right hand corner there is a sound output option labeled "Splashtop Remote Sound". I reached out to support and they wanted me to remove the splashtop driver In the HAL directory but it didn't fix it so they said replied below:

"Splashtop - Karen (Splashtop Business - Support)

Nov 15, 2022, 00:22 PST

Hi XX,

Could you try reinstall and run the uninstall script to see if you can clean up the driver?

Open DMG installer

(click here to download Splashtop Streamer installer)

Double click and run the uninstall script "Uninstall Splashtop Streamer"

Please reboot your Mac in case there's cache memory, thank you!

Regards,

Splashtop Business Support Team"

This still didn't work after re-installing the app and then removing it through the app. I have been trying to remove this for months with no luck. I just want it removed from the Input/Output sound device list. It feels like Malware.

Thanks,

Jan 22, 2023 8:36 PM in response to Zajukai

OP here.

I got that same email. Except it also included the following:

If you have already uninstalled Splashtop Streamer, please follow the steps below to uninstall Soundflower:

Please go to Finder-> /System/Library/Extensions.

Find Soundflower.kext.

Remove it, then reboot your Mac.

Soundflower plug-in will be fully removed from your Mac.

This was the correct location but the wrong file name. The file I found in that location was called Splashtop.kext. When I removed that file and rebooted, the offending device was no longer in the list. There was nothing anywhere called “soundflower.”

Definitely agree that it seems like malware.

Cannot remove Splashtop remote sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.