Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icloud+

I am a New Iphone User and have already depleted 5GB of my allowable Icloud storage on my device and my phone is somewhat filled to capacity already (64GB). Hence, i proceeded to purchase 50GB storage Icloud+ to help storage of my photos and videos. I cannot seem to figuire out how to transfer my files from icloud over to icloud+ or even start using that 50GB allowable in icloud+. It keeps saying storage is full. Please Assist.

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 11:15 AM

First. iCloud Storage and the Internal Storage on your iPhone are two different things. You will not get more space on your iPhone, even if you buy more space in iCloud.

For example, apps and the data they contain will still fill your iPhone's internal memory. Music you download will fill up your iPhone, messages will fill up, photos will fill up, etc.

iCloud should be seen more as a synchronization/back up service, more than storage, if you ignore iCloud Drive which acts as a storage space in the cloud for files, just like Dropbox or Google Drive. However, files in iCloud Drive will still fill up if they are downloaded locally.

As for your photos, you can activate Optimize iPhone Storage. With that function activated, your photos will be saved in a low space-saving quality locally on your iPhone, and the original quality will remain in iCloud - until you need to view/share the photo, then the Photo app will automatically download the original quality . This feature should be enabled by default, but you can check for yourself here, go to:

Settings -> Apple ID (Your name) -> iCloud -> Photos.

Make sure Optimize iPhone Storage is enabled.

Beyond that, there is only 1 way. Clean up. Go to:

Settings -> General -> iPhone Storage

There you can see what is taking up space and choose to remove What you don't use.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2023 11:15 AM in response to emerald86

First. iCloud Storage and the Internal Storage on your iPhone are two different things. You will not get more space on your iPhone, even if you buy more space in iCloud.

For example, apps and the data they contain will still fill your iPhone's internal memory. Music you download will fill up your iPhone, messages will fill up, photos will fill up, etc.

iCloud should be seen more as a synchronization/back up service, more than storage, if you ignore iCloud Drive which acts as a storage space in the cloud for files, just like Dropbox or Google Drive. However, files in iCloud Drive will still fill up if they are downloaded locally.

As for your photos, you can activate Optimize iPhone Storage. With that function activated, your photos will be saved in a low space-saving quality locally on your iPhone, and the original quality will remain in iCloud - until you need to view/share the photo, then the Photo app will automatically download the original quality . This feature should be enabled by default, but you can check for yourself here, go to:

Settings -> Apple ID (Your name) -> iCloud -> Photos.

Make sure Optimize iPhone Storage is enabled.

Beyond that, there is only 1 way. Clean up. Go to:

Settings -> General -> iPhone Storage

There you can see what is taking up space and choose to remove What you don't use.

Icloud+

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.