Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell monitor S2721H not connecting with MacBook Pro - says 'no HDMI signal from your device'

My S2721H Dell monitor was connecting with my 2020 MacBook Pro for weeks with no issues. Then, all-of-a-sudden, I started getting the 'no HDMI signal from your device' message on the monitor. For a few days I could unplug and plug things back in and it would start working. Then a few days later the macbook pro got where I had to restart it to get the monitor to work.

Then just yesterday I tried all the tricks that have worked in the past, but nothing made the monitor connect with the MacBook Pro. I've unplugged and plugged HDMI cords, power cord, adapter, etc. to no avail. Restarting my computer no longer works.

The adapter I'm using is: USB C Hub HDMI Adapter for MacBook Pro / Air Swith and Other Type C Devices, USBC Digital AV Multiport (6 in 1 Dongle with Ports of typec USB 3.0/4K HDMI/SD/TF Card Reader) Type-c Multi Docking

I've plugged my macbook pro HDMI cord into my Sony TV and it works as an extended display like the Dell monitor used to. That would rule out my HDMI cord and adapter being the issue. The Dell monitor works with my husband's PC. I've made sure my macbook pro has the most up-to-date software/securities.

So is this monitor not compatible with MacBook Pro's from 2020 and if not, why did it work for a while but not now?

Help!!

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 11:20 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jan 12, 2023 2:35 PM in response to saraolive22

the display is a regular HD 1920 by 1080 display with two HDMI 1.4 ports.

the computer can support up to a 5K display without issue.

the adapter should be good enough, it claims 4K @30 Hz, which typically means HDMI 1.4 which should be able to deliver 1920 by 10180 at 60 Hz.

The cable Could be an issue:

HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Displays (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

--------

if that does not solve the problem, you may have a failure.

the most complex item likely to have failed is the adapter. if you can still replace it for US$20, that would be the next thing to try, or upgrade to a better adapter.

Jan 20, 2023 8:31 AM in response to saraolive22

This EXACT same thing just happened to me today! Got the monitor end of December, was working fine until some random glitches that could be fixed, then today it just stopped working and the normal changes to display settings did nothing. I'll try one of these adapters too - hoping that's the issue.

When did you get the monitor? I wonder if there's a defect with certain ones.

Dell monitor S2721H not connecting with MacBook Pro - says 'no HDMI signal from your device'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.