Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What can I do when an app says "there is a billing problem with a family member's pervious purchase."

Trying to download an app that is in the "cloud" but no longer on my device. When I go to redownload I get "there is a billing problem with a family member's previous purchase." I only get that message for when I try to redownload this specific app, but I can download other apps without any issues. Anyone know how to fix this?

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 8:49 PM

Hi izabella135

Welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: What can I do when an app says "there is a billing problem with a family member's pervious purchase."

View your purchase history for the App Store, iTunes Store, and other Apple media services - Apple Support

Re: " I only get that message for when I try to redownload this specific app,"

Seems like that app may have been purchased by the family member who has a billing problem in their Apple ID account. I may be wrong.

How to see what you were charged for:

If you see 'apple.com/bill' on your billing statement - Apple Support

Re: Anyone know how to fix this?

Seems the family member (or a parent) needs to straighten out their billing problem so things return to normal.

If a message says 'billing problem with previous purchase' or 'verification required' – Apple Support

Or if you are the "family organiser" and pay for family purchases, you might need to check if your payment method has a valid expiry date, or if a new payment method needs to be added ... ie: to cover an amount owing, or for ongoing subscriptions.

What to do:

If you need to change or update your Apple ID payment method – Apple Support

How to: Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support

If there is money owing or active subscriptions,

if needed: add a new payment method, before deleting an old one.

How to: Remove a payment method from your Apple ID - Apple Support

Else:

If needed:

You might want to reach out to the Billing Support Team:

Find answers to your questions about purchases, subscriptions, payments, and billing:

Subscriptions and Billing - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2023 8:49 PM in response to izabella135

Hi izabella135

Welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: What can I do when an app says "there is a billing problem with a family member's pervious purchase."

View your purchase history for the App Store, iTunes Store, and other Apple media services - Apple Support

Re: " I only get that message for when I try to redownload this specific app,"

Seems like that app may have been purchased by the family member who has a billing problem in their Apple ID account. I may be wrong.

How to see what you were charged for:

If you see 'apple.com/bill' on your billing statement - Apple Support

Re: Anyone know how to fix this?

Seems the family member (or a parent) needs to straighten out their billing problem so things return to normal.

If a message says 'billing problem with previous purchase' or 'verification required' – Apple Support

Or if you are the "family organiser" and pay for family purchases, you might need to check if your payment method has a valid expiry date, or if a new payment method needs to be added ... ie: to cover an amount owing, or for ongoing subscriptions.

What to do:

If you need to change or update your Apple ID payment method – Apple Support

How to: Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support

If there is money owing or active subscriptions,

if needed: add a new payment method, before deleting an old one.

How to: Remove a payment method from your Apple ID - Apple Support

Else:

If needed:

You might want to reach out to the Billing Support Team:

Find answers to your questions about purchases, subscriptions, payments, and billing:

Subscriptions and Billing - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

What can I do when an app says "there is a billing problem with a family member's pervious purchase."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.