Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homekit Invitation to Family Member Not Working

I'm trying to add my wife, a Family Member in my Apple account, to my Home app. I send her the invitation from the Home App, it arrives on her phone almost instantly, but when she clicks Accept, our home briefly flashes, and then she has a screen where she can only create a NEW home! We've tried uninstalling Home on her phone, but it still won't let her join our Home app. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 6:34 PM

Hmm, yes, okay. Of course, that is also a possibility. But just know that iOS 16.2 and the Home app don't work great. An update might fix it. But good idea to contact Apple Support directly.

You are welcome again, and good luck.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2023 6:34 PM in response to Ricpage

Hmm, yes, okay. Of course, that is also a possibility. But just know that iOS 16.2 and the Home app don't work great. An update might fix it. But good idea to contact Apple Support directly.

You are welcome again, and good luck.

Jan 12, 2023 6:24 PM in response to Ricpage

You're welcome.

Maybe a stupid question, but do you have any accessories attached to the Home you are trying to share?

iOS 16.2 has some challenges with the Home app, allegedly because there has been an internal update to the Home app, which has been withdrawn again. I know many have experienced bugs.

Here is a little more info:

If you can't access a home or accept an invitation in the Home app - Apple Support

Jan 12, 2023 4:55 PM in response to Ricpage

Is your wife's iPhone updated to the latest iOS version?

I have had the exact same problem when I had to add my wife to be able to control our lights in the Home app. I found out that she had not updated her iPhone to the latest iOS. She then did, and subsequently it worked.

Jan 12, 2023 5:15 PM in response to Ricpage

Okay, now I'm just trying to trouble shoot.

Try deleting her from Home again. Make sure your wife's iPhone is connected to WiFi - invite her again, and if you haven't already, send it to her Apple ID email address.

When she receives the invitation, she must approve it as before and wait. I have noticed that when the invitation is approved, it takes some time before the home layout is loaded. Also remember that you can have several homes in the Home app, check that the app is set to show your shared home.

Jan 12, 2023 6:14 PM in response to Community User

Thanks...I did all that too, but tried it again. I delete any "Home" in her Home App, then re-send the invitation to her Apple ID from my phone. It appears on her phone as a badge on Home. I click Home, it shows that she's been invited to "Our Home", I click "accept invitation", and it pauses for just a split second, then it says "Joining Home..."and then disappears, and her phone is at a "Start a New Home" screen, while on my phone, it shows she hasn't accepted the invitation, then her name disappears. I guess we'll wait for the next update and see what happens. I appreciate you trying though! 🤩

Homekit Invitation to Family Member Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.