You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change background colour of Quick Look

I am currently working with lots of transparent .png files which only have black text and diagrams. When I open the file in Quick Look by using "SpaceBar" key, I have difficulty in reading the file as the background is very dark grey. I want to change the background of Quick Look to something lighter like white. I have been able to change the background in "Preview" but that does not allow me to cycle through the photos. Any ideas on how I can change the background colour to of Quick Look to white?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 2:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 4:18 AM

The Quick Look background cannot be changed directly for images with transparency. However, there are some adaptations you can use to lighten the otherwise stygian transparency background of Quick Look.

• Switch from a System Dark mode appearance to a Light mode which makes a big difference in the Quick Look transparency view.
  • Use lighter Desktop wallpaper to improve transparency viewing without invoking a document as a backlight.
  • Open a blank or low-text PDF and enlarge it as necessary, positioned where Quick Look will open the transparent image. This causes that light document background to shine through the transparency exposing black text that would otherwise be nearly invisible. Move the Quick Look window around to expose different areas of the transparency.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 13, 2023 4:18 AM in response to AceSkyLight

The Quick Look background cannot be changed directly for images with transparency. However, there are some adaptations you can use to lighten the otherwise stygian transparency background of Quick Look.

• Switch from a System Dark mode appearance to a Light mode which makes a big difference in the Quick Look transparency view.
  • Use lighter Desktop wallpaper to improve transparency viewing without invoking a document as a backlight.
  • Open a blank or low-text PDF and enlarge it as necessary, positioned where Quick Look will open the transparent image. This causes that light document background to shine through the transparency exposing black text that would otherwise be nearly invisible. Move the Quick Look window around to expose different areas of the transparency.

Change background colour of Quick Look

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.