Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot backup to iCloud

Hi All, I cant seem to figure out why my phone both on wifi and connected to itunes will not backup to icloud.

• There is plenty of icloud space
  • My settings are just to backup messages, settings etc (low size requirement)

Only thing i can think off, is that whilst i switched off photos it says on my icloud it will be there for 30 days. Having said that the icloud storage snapshot says i got plenty of space:

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 4:54 PM

8 replies

Jan 12, 2023 6:36 PM in response to Uprev

All that shows is that you have messages and files synced with iCloud of approximately 1 GB. It does not indicate what the backup of your device will use for space; in fact, it shows that you do not have a backup of your device at all. My two devices are over 20GB for the backup -- my messages, photos, and documents are already in iCloud, they are not in the backup. You can learn more about what iCloud backs up at What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

Jan 12, 2023 5:34 PM in response to Uprev

When you backup using iCloud, it will back up most of the items on your device. Those items that you already store in iCloud are excluded. So, it's likely that you do not have enough space to backup to iCloud. Go to Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > iCloud backup > {device name} to see the size of your next backup.

Cannot backup to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.