Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird dates of default mac apps after factory reset

Hello,

My device was compromised and I'm worried that it's still compromised after a factory reset which I did yesterday, on January 12 2023. I did a factory reset by erasing the disk that was weirdly called "Mac SSD" instead of a standard "Macintosh HD". After a disk erase through the "Disk Utility" tool in Recovery mode, I reinstalled Monterey 12.6.2.

I didn't install any new apps since the factory reset and the default Mac apps like Calculator and others have the created date set to December 2 2022, so a date before the factory reset. I didn't log into iCloud on this device yet.

I'm worried that the system integrity could be compromised and that the malware is persisting even after a factory reset.

At first I thought that this is the date of Monterey 12.6.2. release, but it's not because it was released on December 13 2022.

Why do all the apps have that date and is there a way to do a better factory reset that could remove the malware and return the state of my machine to a state as when I bought it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 2:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 3:34 AM

That created date is PERFECTLY NORMAL.

It just depends on the OS version - in this case, Ventura 13.1 - and NOT on when you installed it.

See my Applications folder - note how lots of system applications have that same date. It is when the OS image was finalized at Apple, and should be the same for everyone. It will be the same if you install 13.1 today, or next month. It may change when Apple releases 13.2, and so on.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2023 3:34 AM in response to neared123

That created date is PERFECTLY NORMAL.

It just depends on the OS version - in this case, Ventura 13.1 - and NOT on when you installed it.

See my Applications folder - note how lots of system applications have that same date. It is when the OS image was finalized at Apple, and should be the same for everyone. It will be the same if you install 13.1 today, or next month. It may change when Apple releases 13.2, and so on.

Jan 13, 2023 2:42 AM in response to neared123

If the User had used this method from Apple and link below

Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support (CA)

And then used this method from Apple and link below

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support (CA)

Whatever Malware maybe been installed would have been eradicated during Wipe and Reinstallation describe above

Besides, Malware or Adware would Only affect the User Account into which it was installed and Not the Operating System Itself.

Additionally, specific to Big Sur macOS 11 and above.

The Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User and in your case neither the Malware or Adware.

Weird dates of default mac apps after factory reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.