Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iPhone keep turning my radio on?

Whether my phone is connected via a wire or Bluetooth, if my timer or alarm goes off in my car, it suddenly turns the radio on even if I’m not playing any audio on my phone or even when I am playing audio on my phone. If someone tries to send me a message through messenger while I’m driving, the radio will turn on. Turning off notifications worked to stop that one. If I’m just sitting in my car looking at my phone apps in a parking lot in park, the radio randomly turns on. Sometimes it’s when I open an app (even just checking my mail), sometimes when I close the app by swiping up and sometimes it’s just randomly happening every few seconds while using an app. It’s the most annoying thing and so irritating. I’m not having a bunch of stuff up when I’m driving , but the radio randomly going off while I’m driving is very distracting because I have to keep fiddling with the buttons to turn it off. Setting a focus doesn’t help the issue either. If I don’t have a phone connected at all and I’m driving, I have no issue with the radio turning on randomly or sitting in my car in park. Phones are updated. I confirmed with Kia that the firmware is updated on my car and they insist it is an Apple Play issue. Can this be fixed at all? It happened with my iPhone 8 as well!

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 12:26 PM

My iPhone is up to date.

if I have it on Do Not Disturb and one of my alarms goes off, yes it will suddenly turn on the FM radio. If I have Apple Music open it happens. If I have every app closed and someone sends me a message or my alarm goes off (do not disturb is off), the radio turns on. This is all with a wired connection through car play. The same issue happens if I have my phone connected to Bluetooth. It will suddenly switch from Bluetooth to the FM radio. I don’t have to have anything open on my phone at times and the FM radio turns on. I don’t have any issue with my radio randomly turning on when it is shut off, as long as I don’t have my phone wired or connected to my car via Bluetooth.

then when I sit in the car when it’s parked to make calls, send emails or messages, even browsing the web the radio just constantly turns on. I shut it off, it turns back on. If I unhook my phone wire from the car and make sure to disable Bluetooth there is no issue. Sometimes I’m trying to find a location on the map app before I start driving and the radio keeps turning on as I try to use the app. It’s very annoying. I have wiped my phone and restarted it from factory settings. I have turned my phone off and on. Nothing has fixed it. Kia said a lot of people have this issue but it’s not a Kia issue, it’s an apple and CarPlay issue so apple has to create an update to stop this from happening. And I’ve even dealt with calling Kia corporate and dealing with a translator to report this issue to them.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2023 12:26 PM in response to Sparks0829

My iPhone is up to date.

if I have it on Do Not Disturb and one of my alarms goes off, yes it will suddenly turn on the FM radio. If I have Apple Music open it happens. If I have every app closed and someone sends me a message or my alarm goes off (do not disturb is off), the radio turns on. This is all with a wired connection through car play. The same issue happens if I have my phone connected to Bluetooth. It will suddenly switch from Bluetooth to the FM radio. I don’t have to have anything open on my phone at times and the FM radio turns on. I don’t have any issue with my radio randomly turning on when it is shut off, as long as I don’t have my phone wired or connected to my car via Bluetooth.

then when I sit in the car when it’s parked to make calls, send emails or messages, even browsing the web the radio just constantly turns on. I shut it off, it turns back on. If I unhook my phone wire from the car and make sure to disable Bluetooth there is no issue. Sometimes I’m trying to find a location on the map app before I start driving and the radio keeps turning on as I try to use the app. It’s very annoying. I have wiped my phone and restarted it from factory settings. I have turned my phone off and on. Nothing has fixed it. Kia said a lot of people have this issue but it’s not a Kia issue, it’s an apple and CarPlay issue so apple has to create an update to stop this from happening. And I’ve even dealt with calling Kia corporate and dealing with a translator to report this issue to them.

Jan 16, 2023 11:51 AM in response to ROCKtheBARD

Hi there ROCKtheBARD,

You'll want to start by making sure your iPhone is running the most current version of iOS 16 that's available, which is iOS 16.2. You can check the currently installed version by going to Settings > General > About > Software Version. If needed, learn more about updating your iPhone here: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Next, are you using CarPlay or just a standard Bluetooth or USB connection?

Does this happen if you have Do Not Disturb turned on in Settings?

Do you have Apple Music open when this happens? Does this happen when connecting your iPhone to any other vehicles?

While we're happy to help, this sounds like it may be an issue with the car stereo itself. Send over the details we requested above, and we'll take a closer look from there.

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2023 2:10 PM in response to ROCKtheBARD

Good afternoon ROCKtheBARD,

Thanks for providing that additional information. Since this happened with an iPhone 8 and your new iPhone 11 Pro, it sounds like the issue is with the entertainment system in the Kia. Many of these vehicles have an option that causes music to play automatically when there is a connection (ie. opening an app). What is the exact model and year of your Kia? Please check the user guide to see how to disable this autoplay option in the vehicle.

If you'd like to speak with Apple directly about this, click the link below to find the phone number for your region and call when it is convenient.

Contact Apple for support and service

Take care.

Why does iPhone keep turning my radio on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.