Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the point of iCloud storage if you can’t upload photos to it and then delete them from your phone without also deleting it from iCloud? You’d think the whole point of “storing” your pics in iCloud would be to create more space on your iPhone.

You’d think the point of having iCloud storage would be to “store” pics you want to keep but not on your phone so you can free up more space not just having the exact same stuff you have in your iCloud as you have on your phone. Is there any way to store pics in iCloud but delete them from your phone without deleting them from your iCloud?

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 10:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 12:38 AM

i am dismayed to hear that the cloud "isnt an off site repository" i have never seen, heard or been told its function is to "unify my content across my devices". i think its very misleading to project " a safe place for all your files"

thanks drnstvns at least im not the only one

4 replies

Feb 5, 2023 2:55 PM in response to David McKinlay

If this is the case, then why am I billed monthly for “iCloud storage” and not “iCloud device unification.”?

I appreciate your take on how you think iCloud Storage is to be used but I think it’s a singular vision and the majority of people look on it as what it is: a storage space so you are able to keep the things you want to keep but don’t have the room on your device.

Feb 5, 2023 1:23 AM in response to JDUNHAM999

The problem seems to be that people are expecting something very different from iCloud, a separate external Cloud storage or a cloud backup, as soon as they are hearing "Cloud".

What Apple is offering is much more and perfect for people who are using several Apple devices with different system versions. I am using a collection of five different Macs with different versions of macOS, two iPads and an iPhone and an iPod Touch. I can work with my photos on any of my devices and the Photos Library in iCloud is mirrored on all devices, perfectly in sync. I can use any device that I am currently having with me to work with the photos and continue on a different device, when I get home. You can use iCloud to save storage on your devices, as David McKinley pointed out. Just use the optimize Storage option, and Photos will automatically remove photos that you have not used in a long time and keep just a smaller thumbnail for browsing. But do not delete any photos you want to keep, let the system do it for you. With optimize Storage enabled, you can stop worrying about the storage used - even if your storage will always appear to be full, the system will free storage for your, when you need it.

I am enjoying iCloud Photos primarily for the syncing capability and avoiding "Optimize storage" like the plague. I prefer to have my photos stored locally, so I can access them easily, if the internet is slow or not reliably, or when I am completely out of reach of a fast, reliable or affordable internet connection. Keeping the originals mirrored locally is also making it easier to make regular backups of the Photos Library. An optimized Library would be incomplete, with some of the original media files missing, so Time Machine can only backup the structure, but not the photos and videos. I prefer to pay for more onboard storage on my devices instead of for download fees for downloading the same photos and videos over and over again.

Three Good Reasons for Using iCloud Photos Library and when not to use it - Apple Community

Jan 13, 2023 11:11 PM in response to drnstvns

The "point" of iCloud Photos, and indeed iCloud, is to unify your content across your devices. It's purpose is not to be an offsite repository. Because iCloud Photos synchronises your collection any edit, therefore, will happen on all participating devices.

If you want to minimise the size of your photos on your device you can choose to optimise the size of the photos.

For detailed information see Apple's support documents:

Set up iCloud Photos on all your devices

Use iCloud Photos on iPhone

Use iCloud Photos to store photos in iCloud

Share photos and videos and keep them up to date with iCloud

Manage your photo and video storage

What is the point of iCloud storage if you can’t upload photos to it and then delete them from your phone without also deleting it from iCloud? You’d think the whole point of “storing” your pics in iCloud would be to create more space on your iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.