Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VAT issue on iPhone purchase

Dear all?

I ordered Iphone 14 pro max 128GB.

total cost was 1099+68.69$=1167.69 (in received order mail)

But in my order list 1099+107.5$=1206.15$. VAT value increased 38$.

and it charged 2 cost 11.67.69 and 38$

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 7:28 AM

7 replies

Jan 14, 2023 3:07 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Johnathan Burger wrote:

There is no VAT in the United States.
Each state, county, city sets their own taxes.

Don't forget about "special districts". I used to live in Denver. Years ago, when I still lived in Denver, I hated it when someone from Denver bought my software over the internet. I had to get out the map and find out exactly where they lived in order to find out how much tax to charge them. Or rather, for a small company on the Internet, it was how much tax I had to pay. 😄

In this case, it sounds like someone who is not a US resident is trying something clever to avoid local VAT. That's not going to work. It is only the billionaires who can effortlessly move money around the world. For everyone else, they know what credit card someone is using and will check to see what country it is from, potentially adding both foreign VAT and local US sales tax. And then you get a letter demanding payment for duties on the import.

VAT issue on iPhone purchase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.