Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iMac as a second display for new iMac?

Hello,

I just purchased a new 24" iMac and would like to use my old 27" iMac as a second display. The old one is a mid 2011 with OS Sierra 10.12.6. Is it possible use it in this way? I am seeing lots of conflicting info online and on Youtube. Thanks in advance.

iMac 24″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 8:31 AM

No, this is not possible as your new computer does not meet the requirements for target display mode as stated below:

• The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

See this link for further reference

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2023 8:31 AM in response to nichole dunn

No, this is not possible as your new computer does not meet the requirements for target display mode as stated below:

• The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier installed.
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

See this link for further reference

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Old iMac as a second display for new iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.