Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini will not start, ram upgrade?

there was a thread.... i doubled my ram several years ago, now my mac mini will not start. has anyone figured out the connection? i can just put mine back to stock, try it i guess. nobody specified if this happened immediately, never worked ever or if it worked for five years...

like mine then froze up with the apple and partial line. again, it worked for five years after ram increase. j

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 2:23 AM

That sounds more like a failed hard drive or some other hardware issue.

What year model Mac mini and what macOS is it running?

see > Identify your Mac mini model - Apple Support

What screen if any do you see when you startup the Mac mini?

see > If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support

6 replies

Jan 16, 2023 5:18 AM in response to jellero

Have you tried starting up with all peripherals disconnected other than display, keyboard and mouse?

I have seen a similar happenings when there is a flakey peripheral.

Also, have you tried booting in Safe Mode:

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

This prevents all third party drivers from attempting to load. A corrupt driver can also show results similar to what you are seeing.

Jan 15, 2023 11:55 AM in response to jellero

today i started mini then held down the four keys that mac help told me to hold down. this time the line finished filling in, whoopee... so i now have the apple and the full line. i plugged in my apple keyboard and mouse but nothing works. it did make startup sounds several times while buttons were down on keyboard. i am a photographer and have ten years worth of work, 12,000 shots on this hard drive, many more on 3t external drives (unplugged). still no option for opening anything that i know of.

Jan 15, 2023 5:20 AM in response to jellero

Sounds a lot like file corruption, drive issue, or perhaps a driver/device issue.

FWIW, replacing RAM has no bearing what so ever on a computers longevity. I have two MacMinis, 2010 and 2011, that I upgraded the RAM shortly after purchase and both are still working just fine today. Same is true for a late 2013 27" iMac.

So, anything you might have heard about upgrading RAM causing failures over time is just typical internet hogwash.

Jan 16, 2023 11:39 AM in response to den.thed

it is a late 2012. i bought it new from apple 2015... i have been messing with this thing just today for a full fb game plus another half a game. i tried starting with option button down, got something different expecting to be able to choose another disc to start up with. a drawing of the hard drive was there with an arrow pointing at it but

mouse/ kb do not work. i used up arrow on kb and got a list of active routers in the area, chose mine, then entered my password off router, spinning wheel... back to previous page. is there a list of buttons that can be held down during startup and what they do? i guess kb is communicating but usb mouse is dead.

[Edited by Moderator]

Mac mini will not start, ram upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.