Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus notification on MacBook Pro.

Hello,

Its been a few days since I am receiving a virus alert on the notification panel.

is it legit or a scam too?

I read a few blogs about past virus scams.

running MacOS Ventura.

How do I get rid of these alerts?

getting too many alerts.

I am uploading a few screenshots of the notifications.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 3:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2023 8:09 AM

Safari-Settings-Websites-Notifications- select the picture of the settings app & remove it

*issue resolved

4 replies

Feb 26, 2023 9:31 AM in response to raisen_07

Hi Raisen_7,

I think you have the answer, but just in case, this is how I fixed it, from the section pointed to by John Galt in this thread.

The answer lies in the Safari, where you go to Safari > Settings.. from the Menu. Then choose the Websites tab (8th one along). Here is the list of sites that have permission to show alerts - even ones that look like they come from System Settings! (i.e the cog). Lo and behold, the first one in the list was that very cog, with "allow" off to the right. I highlighted it then hit remove. That worked for me.

According to the Apple page, Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community those pesky notifications appear regardless of whether Safari is running or not! That is what confused me to start with, but now I know... :-)

Jan 15, 2023 8:30 AM in response to raisen_07

Any claim that your Mac is infected with a "virus" is a scam, so that's the quick answer to your question.

The Notifications you are encountering amount to an annoyance. If you were to click on them they would open a web page alleging your Mac is infected with something (hence the scam) and offer to "scan" your Mac (which is a lie) in an effort to get you to install something malicious, or to call a toll-free number that will connect you to a criminal whose job it is to convince you to give them your credit card number, bank account information, Apple ID, etc. That's the threat.

Stop the annoying Notifications by reviewing Customize website notifications in Safari on Mac - Apple Support. Apparently, you granted one or more websites the authority to harass you with annoying Notifications. When confronted with an offer to do that, your automatic, reflexive reply ought to be "just say no." Saying NO to scams is your first line of defense. NO stops the threat before it can even arise.

Excerpted from Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community:

Beware spontaneously appearing, unsolicited popups demanding immediate action. Think before you click.

Virus notification on MacBook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.