Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K 2022 blue tv screen at start up

Hello,

has anyone encounter this and new a way around this?

I have the newest Apple TV 4K 2022 (third gen, with HDR10+ support) and I have been experiencing a static either blue or magenta screen at startup. Never had this happened before with any previous Apple TV 4Ks (and I have had them all, 2021 vs, the one before, etc )

The only reason why I upgraded to this "new" 2022 vs. (even tho I had the one from 2021 already) was for the HDR10+ support since I have a flagship Samsung Qled TV. it works great!! but having this issue at startup its very very annoying. the only way to get out of it is my unplugging the Apple TV from power source for 45secs+ and turn on again.

Any help ?

(for reference my setup: Samsung QLED q90r TV with e-arc , Sonos ARC with surrounds and sub, new appletv4k 2022 , Apple's Belkin HDMI cables )

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 2:03 PM

5 replies

Jan 16, 2023 9:01 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Hello, GM and thanks for taking the time to help,

Cold you elaborate a bit more? I totally understand what you are saying, however, coming from this background:

*never never had this issue before with any other appleTV. even the 2021 model , everything has always been perfect.

*only does it here and there.

*my TV consumption is only and exclusively "appleTV". what I mean is that, I don't use the "TV" at all for anything. so the TV remote gets hardly ever used or the "TV itself". When I turn the appletv on, the TV turns on, it detects "HDMI input, reads it "appletv" the soundbar gets recognized, and bam! blue screen or magenta screen and it starts there. I have switch HDMI inputs on the tv (meaning, I can go to the TV free channels and they play, I can turn on the Xbox and it kicks into game mode, but if I go back to the Apple TV, it will still be stuck on that blue screen) I have even run "hdmi / signal test" on the samsung (while the Apple TV is stuck in blue) and it would not report any issues. SUPER WEIRD. only does it here and there, sometimes weeks without doing it.

Is there something you are suggesting? as in, turn anynet off? is that what you said ? could you please elaborate a bit more?

Jan 18, 2023 4:15 AM in response to memin

only does it here and there.

Intermittent issues are notoriously hard to diagnose. It is possible that the electronic circuitry (partly) fails for one port. Then try swapping cables and ports until you find the culprit, even when that means some port configuration changes.

Is there something you are suggesting? as in, turn anynet off? is that what you said ? could you please elaborate a bit more?

I would suggest to verify that CEC is still activated on all HDMI devices. Verify that e.g. updates didn’t alter your settings. And turn all connected device completely off (not sleep) for a minute or so, then restart. Perhaps they’ll cooperate better then. Restarting all devices would reset the HDMI connection too, including CEC functionality, so that could resolve some types of issues.

Also check that the HDMI cables still sit firmly in their ports. A loose connection could cause a blue screen.

Jan 18, 2023 1:40 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Hello,

All my cables are good and are belkin (from the Apple Store, actually, one is just brand new picked up 2 days ago for me to do some troubleshooting and make sure its not a faulty cable). Swapped ports already and restarted/reset , etc. Actually, when I put in the new cable, the TV recognized it right away, and added the "appletv" logo on that port without me doing anything. If I run "test cable" diagnosis on the Apple TV and the tv itself (I think it's called, "check HDMI connection" ) everything comes up fine. I never had an issue playing content , Atmos plays without any issues, HDR10+ shows up when the content supports it, etc etc. The only issue is that static blue or magenta screen when I turn the Apple TV on that happens here and there. (never had it with any other appletv nor the previous 2021 version, if it was a cable or circuitry issues I would have had some weird experiences or "hand shaking" of devices before I would assume ). Now, I only use the appletv remote. when I turn it on, the tv turns on, wondering if I should use the tv remote first , then the appletv , tho I have always used it like this. All of these started happening with the new HDR10+ version.

Apple TV 4K 2022 blue tv screen at start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.