Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail messages in apple mail not being marked read

All Gmail messages retain the Blue unread dot even after I have read the message. They will also not move to Trash after being deleted, and move to the next message. Apple mail messages behave normally. The only way to get the Gmail messages to either change to read or move to trash, and move on to the next message is for me to switch from my Gmail Inbox to my Mac Inbox and then back. Then the Gmail messages will have moved to their appropriate places. This behavior just started a few days ago. Using MacOS 12.6.1

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 11:01 AM

Hello Lorraine Martinez,

Let's use the steps below to get your MacBook Air up to date:

Before installing new software, it's a good idea to back up your Mac.

1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen:
• Choose System Settings. Then click General in the sidebar, and Software Update on the right.
• Or choose System Preferences. Then click Software Update.
2. If Software Update finds new software, click the Update Now or Upgrade Now button to install it.
Software Update windowe

3. Enter your administrator password, if asked. During installation, your Mac might restart, and you might see a progress bar or blank screen several times.

You can also find those steps in this resource: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support Updating can help to further isolate a potential software conflict.

Should that still persist, do you experience the same behavior if you boot into safe mode using the applicable steps below?

Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor
1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

This resource also covers those steps: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

It can take a few extra minutes to boot into safe mode. Your screen may flash or flicker while in safe mode. Those behaviors are expected. Testing in safe mode runs a check on your disk, removes some cached files, and can help isolate conflicts with startup items. Once you've tested that behavior in safe mode, you can restart to leave safe mode.

Let us know your results, and we'll keep moving forward from there.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2023 11:01 AM in response to Lorraine Martinez

Hello Lorraine Martinez,

Let's use the steps below to get your MacBook Air up to date:

Before installing new software, it's a good idea to back up your Mac.

1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen:
• Choose System Settings. Then click General in the sidebar, and Software Update on the right.
• Or choose System Preferences. Then click Software Update.
2. If Software Update finds new software, click the Update Now or Upgrade Now button to install it.
Software Update windowe

3. Enter your administrator password, if asked. During installation, your Mac might restart, and you might see a progress bar or blank screen several times.

You can also find those steps in this resource: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support Updating can help to further isolate a potential software conflict.

Should that still persist, do you experience the same behavior if you boot into safe mode using the applicable steps below?

Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor
1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

This resource also covers those steps: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

It can take a few extra minutes to boot into safe mode. Your screen may flash or flicker while in safe mode. Those behaviors are expected. Testing in safe mode runs a check on your disk, removes some cached files, and can help isolate conflicts with startup items. Once you've tested that behavior in safe mode, you can restart to leave safe mode.

Let us know your results, and we'll keep moving forward from there.

Jan 18, 2023 6:49 PM in response to chuckbl

Hi chuckbl,

Thanks for your post. I waited to respond because I wanted to observe what happened after I made a couple of changes. Here's what I did:

• First, I back up via Time machine daily, so didn't need to do that.
  • I also have been waiting to update to Ventura - haven't had the time to deal with any issues that might arise, and I didn't see how this might affect this issue, since the issue wasn't occurring a week ago. I am on 12.6.1, though.
  • I started out with booting into Safe Mode, and in Safe Mode this behavior didn't occur.
  • Then I restarted, but noticed a significantly decreased number of emails that were being skipped-over, so I repeated the Safe Mode boot.
  • Then I rebuilt my Gmail Inbox.

After all of that, I waited to see what would happen. At first, a few emails continued to slip by, but lass each day, so perhaps Mail was learning. Today there weren't any messages that behaved abnormally.

So, for the time being, at least, the problem seems to have been resolved.

Thanks very much for your help -- I'll update this post if I see the behavior resuming, but keeping fingers crossed that it won't.

Jan 19, 2023 8:35 AM in response to Lorraine Martinez

Well, I guess I spoke too soon, because today there were several emails that slipped through, and they're totally unrelated to one another; e.g., one email from The New York Times slipped thru, while several others behaved normally. Another interesting thing to note is that these same emails behave completely normally on my iPhone. Here's a screen shot showing a batch of emails that are behaving badly, while numerous others were normal. Although all of them have been selected, only the first one is marked as Read, and if I delete, only that first one will be deleted until I switch to any other mailbox - then these will all be deleted.

Gmail messages in apple mail not being marked read

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.