Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Slow Apple HomeKit after updating to iOS 16, 16.1, 16.2 and alos on MAC OSX 13.0.1

Apple HomeKit is becoming unusable. Constantly lags, not just a few seconds, sometimes upto 30 to 45 seconds.

I have 2 x HomePods, 1 x HomePod Mini, 4 x Apple TVs a dedicated iPad and a blanket VELOP wireless network with exceptional signal quality across 99% of the home.

Since updating the whole system is becoming so very slow to use.

I have read the stories of uninstalling and reinstalling everything and it only solving the issue for a short period of time. Phew.

I have two Hue Hubs connected to ensure I can run the 80 odd devices across our home.

I also have Homebridge installed to run a number of different accessories and link back to Apple.

I have gigabit ethernet connecting all the wireless access points stud the property as well.

To uninstall and reinstall just to try if it resolves the issues would be a mammoth journey. !!

Posted on Jan 15, 2023 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2023 5:50 PM

Apple, fix this. We’re paying enough money. Unacceptable und really annoying. Get your quality up finally (in all the products)!

Similar questions

16 replies

Dec 29, 2023 9:29 AM in response to RickDerickH

Chiming in as well. We are well past the point of being asked to reboot or modems and routers. This is a HomeKit issue and Apple has to fix it. I have two OG HomePods, three HomePod mini’s, and four Apple TV’s all hard wired. Once again, HomeKit is slow to respond randomly with no changes to network. It’s taking up to 30 seconds to make lights turns on or off if it even works at this point. Oh and give us a way to set what device we want as a hub. I can’t understand why a HomePod mini is being used a a hub when I have cabled Apple TV’s.

Mar 1, 2023 11:07 AM in response to RickDerickH

Im chiming in as well in case someone has a solution. Since updating to 16.3.1 on my iPhone a few days ago, our entire home hub is out of whack.

We have:

• 4 Apple HomePod Minis
  • ~20-30 HomeKit smart devices (light bulbs, switches etc)
  • 2 Apple TVs
  • all devices updated to latest software and firmware.

But now devices take 20-30 seconds to do something or else it. Says there’s a problem. All the devices in the Home Hub say Updating constantly. I’ve literally reset our internet, switches, outlets, you name it, and it fixed it for an hour. Now things are back to not working. Whatever this latest update was, it gave me this problem. Prior to this update I’ve hardly had any issues for 4 years.

What gives, Apple?

Mar 13, 2023 12:18 PM in response to MCBacardi

So, I'm posting an update on my situation. I reset the breaker to my home that controls the entire power to my house. After resetting it, my Homekit Network started working seamlessly again. All of the devices were discoverable and allowing me to turn my devices on or off. This lasted one whole day, then reverted back to only my Meross Smart Wall Switches and Ecobee are "Updating" or "No Response" again.

I've contacted Meross and they have walked me through updating and resetting to re-add devices back to my home, but they said that if the issue persists it's likely a bug issue on Apple's Homekit end. This makes sense to me insofar that multiple devices across differing manufacturers are being affected, which suggests the common denominator in this issue is likely Apple. I've heard from a couple other friends that they're also experiencing issues, but no solutions or word from Apple. I wish someone from their company/team would read these issues, I don't know how else to get their attention.

Jan 8, 2024 10:34 PM in response to RickDerickH

I've had the same problem for quite a long time now, and it was most noticeable when using Matter or Thread-connected devices. They were responding very slowly or not at all (sometimes even disconnected/not reachable, even when they were powered). This became pretty annoying because I have many automations to turn on lights when gates open, and many rooms don't even have light switches anymore.

My first solution was to reset my router. It helped for a very short period of time, but everything went back to lagging pretty soon.

Then I took all HomePods and Apple TVs, switched them off and on again. It also helped; everything worked fine for some time, perhaps 24 hours. Better than nothing, I guess.

Because the Matter and Thread devices were the most problematic ones, I zeroed in on devices that are HomeKit enabled but don't have the standard. I have one 1st gen Apple TV 4K. After disconnecting it from power, everything started working perfectly, even without resetting anything else. This might not be the solution, but it's been about a week now, and everything responds flawlessly and very quickly. Perhaps you guys could try out the same method and report back? It might only be a fluke, but I've never felt closer to solving it.

For reference, my HomeKit setup consists of:

- Gen 1 HomePods

- HomePod minis

- Apple TVs

- About 100 HomeKit devices (lights, shades, doors, gates, switches – great when it works, insanely annoying when it doesn't 😉)

- Of course, all devices are on the latest software.

I really hope this helps some of you. Of course, it's no permanent solution to disconnect all old Apple TVs, but it's absolutely better than nothing at this point.

Jan 17, 2023 11:02 AM in response to RickDerickH

Hey there RickDerickH,

We'd like to help!

If you're using the same network with each of the devices using HomeKit, try rebooting the modem/router and also restart your Apple devices. Once everything has been rebooted, try testing to see if the same issue persists.

Should this continue, we'd like to know if you have any issues when connected to another reliable network. You can also remove any active devices connected to your home network, then test if the issue happens when only connected to a single device.

For additional help with your network: Solve internet connection problems on Mac - Apple Support

Feel free to post an update in a reply with more info if you need additional help.

Take care!

Apr 17, 2023 4:16 AM in response to RickDerickH

Same here. However, everything was working fine until I added a new switch to the network today (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B3DLFFSK). Now, everything takes about 10 seconds to update in the HomeKit app and changes take 10-30 seconds to go through.

I know it's HomeKit problem, since I've also got all the devices registered with Alexa and their native apps as well. They respond instantaneously with those apps and Alexa.

May 1, 2024 10:59 PM in response to Malejay

Did anyone get it resolved?

I have two setups Apple HomeKit and home assistant in the same home.

with ha… everything is snappy and fast. While HomeKit takes sometimes up to one minute to load statuses of all the devices.

the regularity I found is that after power restart to appletv everything works great for 24h… after that it get slower again and after more or less a week it is unusable. (Waiting 30-40 sec to turn on or of device)

all the native apps works great and immediately, same for home assistant.

issue is 100% with Apple. For that price disappointment is huge so far

Slow Apple HomeKit after updating to iOS 16, 16.1, 16.2 and alos on MAC OSX 13.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.