Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers - how to customize Number format

Hi,

I updated to Ventura and can't find where to simply write specify what I want to use as thousand separator and decimal separator. Previously you could go in under System Settings > Language Region and type in to have ' for the thousands and a . for the decimal. Now it seems I can only choose predetermined options that do not work for me at all. Where do I go to customise this?

Thank you for your help!

/Fred

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 12:26 AM

7 replies

Jan 23, 2023 2:13 PM in response to HPhil84

HPhil84 wrote:

Hi, that's a solution for Numbers but with Excel version 16.69.1 that doesn't work. There is still a problem with the Swiss-French language in the region settings.

Does this help?

Customizing Number Format in Ventura - Apple Community

There's also a forum for Excel at

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-msoffice_OfH-mso_OPMac?sort=LastReplyDate&dir=Desc&tab=All&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=all&isFilterExpanded=false&page=1

Jan 16, 2023 5:07 AM in response to SGIII

Hi SG,

Thanks for your reply. It's what I've been doing before, but now it would seem you can't choose a custom combination. Let's say for example that I want to use an apostrophe ' as the thousands separator and a dot . as the decimal separator. This kind of customisation was doable in previous MacOS but seems to have been removed and replaced by some arbitrary format based on countries? If you can tell me how to get the combo mentioned in the example above I'd be very thankful.

Basically I want Numbers to recognise 1'234'567.89 as a number for my formulas.

These formats are the ones I can choose from in my country/region and I can't seem to find the "customise" option...

Jan 16, 2023 8:44 AM in response to Fredheg

Fredheg wrote:

I want Numbers to recognise 1'234'567.89 as a number for my formulas.

Probably missing something, but I easily got that format in Ventura 13.1 without going to the terminal or worrying about fashioning a custom number format.

It was just a matter of picking the region / language combination that provides the desired number format (and the language) I want to use.

Here it is at the document level at File > Advanced ... in Numbers 12.2.1.

Similar at the system level in Systems Settings in macOS Ventura 13.1. Lots of built-in options (I think over 100 different regions) with seemingly every conceivable number format already there.

SG

Jan 16, 2023 3:35 AM in response to Fredheg

You can go to System Settings > Language & Region and choose a region that uses the thousands and decimal separators that you want.

You can also do this on a document-specific basis (i.e., have different settings for different documents) within Numbers. File > Advanced > Language & Region ...

SG

Numbers - how to customize Number format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.