Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Water detected in the connected

My phone keep saying water has been detected in the connector. What does this mean?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 6:21 AM

This message can appear if the port is clogged with dust or tiny debris. Very carefully use a toothpick to clean out the port and also clean the contacts on the connecting cable. Try another cable as well.

If this does not help, your next step would be to make an appointment at the Apple Store or take the phone to an authorized Apple service shop.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2023 6:21 AM in response to Aja2015

This message can appear if the port is clogged with dust or tiny debris. Very carefully use a toothpick to clean out the port and also clean the contacts on the connecting cable. Try another cable as well.

If this does not help, your next step would be to make an appointment at the Apple Store or take the phone to an authorized Apple service shop.

Jan 18, 2023 4:57 PM in response to Aja2015

My son put my phone in a glass of water (which I didn’t find out until I had the alert notification pop up that said water detected)

From dead, the phone would come on charged to 2% and then I’d get the message pop up and then obviously the phone would die again within a couple of mins. This indicated to me that it wasn’t severe damage as the phone was clearly still capable of charging. It must of been more of a case of the phone prohibiting the charging function for safety reasons.

All I did was gently dry the charging port by blowing warm air from my hairdryer (from a very good distance - arms length or more - so it wasn’t hot or damaging) for a couple of mins

Left the phone alone for an hour and then when I put the charger lead back in it worked.

Water detected in the connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.