Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect my FireBox interface to my Mac Mini?

Hello, I have a PreSonus Firebox 24 BIT/ 96K FIREWIRE Recording Interface that I bought in 2009. I will soon be getting a Mac Mini (M1) using two thundebolt/USB 4 ports. My question: Can I connect my FireBox interface to my Mac Mini and if so, what adapter do I need?

Thx

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 3:23 PM

Bonjour,JacquesRabbit, Mais Oui, you’d need a Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter( see link) Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter - Apple (CA)

then a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter, like this ( see link) Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple (CA)

john b

15 replies

Jan 17, 2023 4:52 AM in response to JacquesRabbit

Sure.. the firewire adapter has a standard Thunderbolt plug on it( not thunderbolt 3, just thunderbolt) then you need a thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt2/Thunderbolt adapter as your Mac mini supports usb-c/usb 4/Thunderbolt 3… there is no usb-c ( thunderbolt 3) to FireWire adapter, as

in it doesn’t exist.. the earlier way I mentioned is it.. and if your FireBox has a FireWire 400 output, you’ll need a FireWire 800 to 400 cable…

john b

Jan 24, 2023 5:13 PM in response to JacquesRabbit

I think, yes to both… and you’ll probably need 10gb Ethernet connectivity…. Though both the m1 and m2 do have WiFi built in, it’s nice to have that option… you could also go with a powered Thunderbolt 3 dock which would give you a bunch more ports…

some of them even have Ethernet built in… so if you went that way, you might not need to get the 10gb option ( though it’d be nice to have just in case)

john b

Jan 26, 2023 7:11 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Well, now I'm very confused. I've checked with PreSonus last week and they said:

"Hi Jacques 

Thank you for contacting PreSonus Support. 

Unfortunately the FireBox is end of service and we no longer support it. We can not verify if it will work with the adaptor.

We are very sorry but your product has reached the End of Service and we can longer advise on its use with modern computers.

This means that your product is no longer supported for current computers and current operating systems.

This also means that there are no longer any manufactured parts to repair these products.

List of current EOS products is found here:

http://www.presonus.com/support/repairs

There will be no active support provided for any End of Service product and this ticket will submit as Solved."

And I asked your colleague at Apple and he said january 16, 2023:

"Bonjour,JacquesRabbit, Mais Oui,  you’d need a Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter( see link) Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter - Apple (CA)
then a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter, like this ( see link) Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple (CA)

john b"

What do I do ?

Thx

Jacques

Jan 26, 2023 7:21 PM in response to JacquesRabbit

While the device is listed as EOS, it may (or may not) continue to work in the newest macOS software.

The adapter(s) that John B mentioned in their reply will physically connect the FireBox to the Mac, but there is no guarantee that the discontinued device will be able to talk to the computer.

Of course you may try, and the worst case scenario is that is does not work and you will have some adapters to return to the point of purchase. Best case would be that the device actually does work in Monterey, despite it's discontinued status.

Can I connect my FireBox interface to my Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.