Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Screen image distorted/pixelated when audio app in use

My iPhone 12 upgraded to iOS 16.2 yesterday. Now, whenever I use any audio app (iTunes, Overcast, Spotify) my Home Screen becomes very pixelated; the app icons are clear, but the picture I’m using as a background looks like the quality has become extremely reduced. The image looks clear at all other times and goes back to normal once I close out of the app playing music.

Unfortunately I’m not able to attach a screenshot as the file size is too large.

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 3:47 PM

This happened to me too, but I believe I have stumbled onto a fix:

I noticed it when I was listening to a podcast. When I looked at my phones Lock Screen, the podcast’s cover art fills most of the screen, and blurs the image around the edges.

I believe the edge blurring is what is causing the Home Screen to be distorted. If you just tab on the album image from the Lock Screen, it will collapse the image and other information back into a smaller banner, and all blurring/pixelation will stop along with it.

I tested this out by playing music too, and found the same result. With the large album icon with blurred edge on the Lock Screen, the Home Screen is distorted. Tapping the album from the Lock Screen collapses it there, and gets rid of all other distortion everywhere else.

It’s certainly something that needs to be patched out, but I hope this can fix your issue for the time being, too!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2023 3:47 PM in response to CTuley

This happened to me too, but I believe I have stumbled onto a fix:

I noticed it when I was listening to a podcast. When I looked at my phones Lock Screen, the podcast’s cover art fills most of the screen, and blurs the image around the edges.

I believe the edge blurring is what is causing the Home Screen to be distorted. If you just tab on the album image from the Lock Screen, it will collapse the image and other information back into a smaller banner, and all blurring/pixelation will stop along with it.

I tested this out by playing music too, and found the same result. With the large album icon with blurred edge on the Lock Screen, the Home Screen is distorted. Tapping the album from the Lock Screen collapses it there, and gets rid of all other distortion everywhere else.

It’s certainly something that needs to be patched out, but I hope this can fix your issue for the time being, too!

Home Screen image distorted/pixelated when audio app in use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.