Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow boot

I have a 16 inch MacBook Pro, Apple M1 Pro chips, running macOS Ventura 13.1... For some time now, when I restart the machine, it takes a long time to complete the boot process and start the login items... Something is holding it hostage... I can improve this by, now and then, doing a SAFE install, followed immediately by the next full boot being quite fast... That lasts a short while and then it goes back to taking way too long to boot... I've looked at the system.log and and seeking other diagnostics I can look at that might help me clean up whatever is bogging down the boot process... Works I get it booted, it's fine from that point forward... Any suggestions??? thanks...

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 3:07 AM

Robert Paris wrote:

I have a 16 inch MacBook Pro, Apple M1 Pro chips, running macOS Ventura 13.1... For some time now, when I restart the machine, it takes a long time to complete the boot process and start the login items... Something is holding it hostage... I can improve this by, now and then, doing a SAFE install, followed immediately by the next full boot being quite fast... That lasts a short while and then it goes back to taking way too long to boot... I've looked at the system.log and and seeking other diagnostics I can look at that might help me clean up whatever is bogging down the boot process... Works I get it booted, it's fine from that point forward... Any suggestions??? thanks...

Besides your SafeBoot mode—which tells you something about third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

To trouble shoot further you can:

Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2023 3:07 AM in response to Robert Paris

Robert Paris wrote:

Besides your SafeBoot mode—which tells you something about third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

To trouble shoot further you can:

Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Jan 17, 2023 7:07 AM in response to leroydouglas

Do you believe that EtreCheck is a good piece of software to consider running on my MacBook Pro??? Does it work ok on an M1 Pro Apple Silicon machine??? That or any other software diagnostics that you might recommend??? regarding third party, I have only Intego Virus barrier and Intego Net Barrier... Had them both for years on other, older MacBook pros. First time here on Apple Silicon... I also just recently added TurboTax software but the slow load was already there well before that addition. And this slow load wasn't there from the beginning or there when I first started using the Intego software on this new MacBook Pro... Computer booted just fine for months until one day it got way slow and that was before upgrading to Ventura. Computer came loaded with Monterey from the start...

Slow boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.