Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Apple Watch must be on the same carrier and plan as the iPhone?

I've read the setup article and other media which states the Watch must be on the same Carrier as the iPhone, and while it's not explicitly stated (that I have found), the Watch and Phone must be on the same plan, the same account.

Does anyone know Why the watch must be on the same plan as the phone?

I can understand NumberSync would likely not work, but my phone is on my company's plan, and my Watch is on my personal plan. Why can I not enable cellular on my Watch, and send/receive texts and/or calls on that number assigned to the Watch?

Apple Watch

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 3:45 PM

That is an issue you'll need to work out with your company. That is not something Apple can solve for you. And if the cellular service on your iPhone is paid for by your company, AT&T can't solve this for you either. Perhaps your company will permit you to add the watch to the company paid plan and you pay them the $10/month fee? Or ask them to let you buy the cellular service for your iPhone under your own account.

To answer your OP question, this is how it was designed and there is no way around it. As we are all users on this user to user only forum, none of whom work for Apple and none of whom engineered the interface from iPhone to Apple Watch, all we can tell you is this is the way it is.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2023 3:45 PM in response to Maligant

That is an issue you'll need to work out with your company. That is not something Apple can solve for you. And if the cellular service on your iPhone is paid for by your company, AT&T can't solve this for you either. Perhaps your company will permit you to add the watch to the company paid plan and you pay them the $10/month fee? Or ask them to let you buy the cellular service for your iPhone under your own account.

To answer your OP question, this is how it was designed and there is no way around it. As we are all users on this user to user only forum, none of whom work for Apple and none of whom engineered the interface from iPhone to Apple Watch, all we can tell you is this is the way it is.

Jan 18, 2023 4:23 PM in response to Maligant

Maligant wrote:

thank you?

iinami's response was not appropriate - I don't know why it is still there.

I missed the Work/personal subtlety that lobsterghost1 correctly addressed (I answer too many questions in a day sometimes!)

Another alternative I guess is just to turn off the cellular part of the Watch and use it like a gps-only Watch.

Make the point to Apple at https://apple.com/feedback

Jan 18, 2023 3:32 PM in response to LD150

The issue itself is my Apple Watch is on my family account, but my iPhone is on my corporate account. They are on different accounts within the same same wireless provider. Both Devices are using the same wireless network - AT&T. AT&T is the Carrier, AT&T is the Service Provider.

The watch has its own esim, has its own cellular connection, and is assigned its own phone number from the wireless provider. However, I can't activate the Watch on the cellular network. Why is that?

I'd like to pair my Watch with my iPhone, but also activate my Watch on the cellular network for use when I have the Watch but don't have my iPhone.

Why Apple Watch must be on the same carrier and plan as the iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.