Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locating photos in Finder

I resized a photo in Preview and I tried to export it to Photos. I located my Photos Library in the Pictures folder in Finder, but the file I want the exported photo to go to "2023" is not shown. I know I could use the "Photos Library" file but it is grayed out. Where do I go from here? Also, there are old folders I used to use in iphoto. Should I delete them?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 9:16 AM

What I am doing, when I want to save a photo I have edited in Preview to Photos is to export it from Preview to the Desktop, then I open the album where I want to add the photo to in Photos and drag it from the Desktop into the open Photos window, directly into the album.

3 replies

Jan 18, 2023 9:00 AM in response to arneomi93

I think you are in Preview, you've chosen Export (or maybe Save), navigated to the Pictures folder, and want to choose an album in your Photos Library to receive your export-- is that right?

If so, it turns out that this isn't the way to get a picture into Photos. The thing is, Photos doesn't use folders in the same way that everything else on a Mac does. You can't access the albums and pictures with Finder.

One way to add a picture from Preview to Photos is to use "File>Share>Add to Photos." You can then open Photos, go to Recents, and drag your picture to the 2023 album.

By the way, you can crop a picture right in Photos. Just select the picture and choose Edit>Crop--it's pretty powerful. You can also reduce the number of pixels in a picture when you export it for other uses-- in File>Export>Export nn Photos, you chose size>custom.

Hope this helps...

Locating photos in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.