Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro M1 Max does not recognize CD SuperDrive. Needs external power

My wife & I are on vacation and we have 2 macBook Pro laptops. Mine is a M1 Max. Right now my computer is up to date with the latest Ventura 13.1 operating system.

When plugging in our cd superdrive to a USB-A port on a hub, we get error message "USB Accessory Needs Power" The notice continues "Connect 'Apple USB ...' to a USB port on this Mac".

Of course, there is no USB-A port on this machine.

• I have stripped other external devices that could draw power from the unpowered USB3.0 hub #1 with no change in performance.
  • I do have a powered USB2.0 7-port hub #2 with me but with the dongles that I have, I have to daisy-chain off hub #1 with the same results.

Not quite sure what limits our ability to run the CD SuperDrive.

Cannot even load cd into drive. there is a "spring" resistance to efforts to manually load the cd.

The only other thought process might include the fact that the SuperDrive has been stored in the Bahamas exposed to summer heat and the drive is "toast". My ScanSnap scanner survived the heat without an issue.

I have rebooted both computers to no avail. Still get the same message.

I see that others have reported the same symptoms so I am not alone on this issue.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 12:39 PM

Have you made sure the firmware is updates? Link below:

SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0

The only other advise I can give is to go into your system settings, you should see as you scroll down to the bottom CD's and DVD's, make sure to turn on the Show eject menu bar since your update may have the latest firmware. I use the bottom type-c port on the left of my 2019 MacBook and it works fine. Slowly insert disk to test, when it's plugged in you'll hear it move gears as well. Hopefully this helps, GOOD LUCK!!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2023 12:39 PM in response to Luke1939

Have you made sure the firmware is updates? Link below:

SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0

The only other advise I can give is to go into your system settings, you should see as you scroll down to the bottom CD's and DVD's, make sure to turn on the Show eject menu bar since your update may have the latest firmware. I use the bottom type-c port on the left of my 2019 MacBook and it works fine. Slowly insert disk to test, when it's plugged in you'll hear it move gears as well. Hopefully this helps, GOOD LUCK!!

MacBook Pro M1 Max does not recognize CD SuperDrive. Needs external power

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.