You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX 12.4 started ignoring Option key

As of about 20 minutes ago, my MacBook Air (M1, 2020) has started ignoring the Option key. Yesterday, when I typed Option-Hyphen, I got an en dash; when I typed Option-U, I started composing a character with an umlaut; when I typed Option-Space, I got a non-breaking space; etc.

I don't think the Option key is broken, because there are two Option keys on the keyboard and the laptop simultaneously started ignoring both of them. I don't think it's just one piece of software, because Apple Pages, TextEdit, and Google Chrome are all now ignoring these key combinations. I don't think it's a temporary glitch in the OS, because I rebooted the computer and it's still ignoring the Option key.

I'm thinking that the most likely cause is that I mistakenly typed a magic key combination that disables the Option key. What sort of key combination could do this?

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 1:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 2:00 AM

First, take a look at System Preferences->Keyboard, and look for Modifiers (or search for Modifiers directly from the System Preferences window; I am on Ventura, and things have been reorganized, so I don't remember the exact location).

See if the "Option key" is matched to itself or if accidentally it was set to "No action".

I post a screenshot from Ventura - it will be similar in Monterey, just with a slightly different presentation:

Try restarting in Safe Mode - still no Option key?

Restart normally. Is it working?

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 18, 2023 2:00 AM in response to Ben Kovitz

First, take a look at System Preferences->Keyboard, and look for Modifiers (or search for Modifiers directly from the System Preferences window; I am on Ventura, and things have been reorganized, so I don't remember the exact location).

See if the "Option key" is matched to itself or if accidentally it was set to "No action".

I post a screenshot from Ventura - it will be similar in Monterey, just with a slightly different presentation:

Try restarting in Safe Mode - still no Option key?

Restart normally. Is it working?

Jan 18, 2023 3:10 AM in response to Ben Kovitz

Firstly follow the previous Contributor suggestions.

Once that has been hopefully resolved.

Q - " OSX 12.4  " Monterey is somewhat outdated and really should be updated to current version 12.6.2 released Dec 13, 2022

The updates has bugs fixes and security issues fixes

Links below on this specific issue

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support (CA)

About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.6.2 - Apple Support (CA)

Jan 18, 2023 6:31 AM in response to Ben Kovitz

After re-reading this question and dependent on the User using the Builtin Keyboard, follow the advice from above posting regarding using an External Keyboard and Testing and the issue

If the External Keyboard functions as expected this make one think the Internal Keyboard has hardware issue.

Should that be the situation >>

Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

OSX 12.4 started ignoring Option key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.