Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Air can only be used when it is plugged into a charger

i have an early 2014 MacBook Air. It can only be used when it is plugged into a charger and the battery icon on the screen has an X. What should I do?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 10:38 AM

Hi, darice48, I’d recommend, based on the info you’re provided us, that you find your local AASP ( apple authorized service provider) or local Apple Store with Genius Bar, contact either one of them, make an appointment, and take your 2014 MacBook in to have the battery replaced soonish… if you go to “about this Mac” or system preferences, there should be something about battery health there… usually you can go by charge cycle count.. if it gets really low and you see the message “ service battery now” well, there you go… fwiw, Apple considers the battery to be a consumable product with a finite number of charge cycles/lifespan, which is true for all Apple products…

john b

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2023 10:38 AM in response to darice48

Hi, darice48, I’d recommend, based on the info you’re provided us, that you find your local AASP ( apple authorized service provider) or local Apple Store with Genius Bar, contact either one of them, make an appointment, and take your 2014 MacBook in to have the battery replaced soonish… if you go to “about this Mac” or system preferences, there should be something about battery health there… usually you can go by charge cycle count.. if it gets really low and you see the message “ service battery now” well, there you go… fwiw, Apple considers the battery to be a consumable product with a finite number of charge cycles/lifespan, which is true for all Apple products…

john b

My MacBook Air can only be used when it is plugged into a charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.