Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos stuck on downloading [number] originals

Photos have been stuck on 'downloading [insert number] originals, for example, in my case, photos are 'downloading 21 originals' on my Mac, but everything is fine on my iPad, so can someone please help? I have tried quitting and re-opening Photos, still stuck. The screenshot below may help. Also, the number in downloading [number] originals doesn't change.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 11:56 AM

These are the things we usual do first:

• Restart the computer (of course)
  • Rebuild your Photos Library--close Photos and re-launch by option-command-clicking the app icon.
  • Make a new user and see if the same problem recurs with it
  • Use another library if you have one, or make a small test Library with a few pictures in it and see if the same thing happens.
  • Start in Safe Mode (different for different computers) This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

My guess is Rebuilding the Library will work for you, but if not, try the others. For no obvious reason, I just had to rebuild mine, and it worked for me.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2023 11:56 AM in response to chaktoshen2012

These are the things we usual do first:

• Restart the computer (of course)
  • Rebuild your Photos Library--close Photos and re-launch by option-command-clicking the app icon.
  • Make a new user and see if the same problem recurs with it
  • Use another library if you have one, or make a small test Library with a few pictures in it and see if the same thing happens.
  • Start in Safe Mode (different for different computers) This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

My guess is Rebuilding the Library will work for you, but if not, try the others. For no obvious reason, I just had to rebuild mine, and it worked for me.

Photos stuck on downloading [number] originals

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.