Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura & OneDrive - hidden duplicate local files?

Good afternoon,

I recently updated to Ventura on my MacBook Pro.

I use OneDrive for work, and have about 110GB of files stored in my OneDrive folder, being continuously backed-up. These files were always saved locally on my computer (...I never use Files-on-Demand as I'm frequently offline but still need access to all of my documents).

Upon updating to Ventura, I found my local OneDrive folder was totally empty. I had a quick check and found all of my files still backed-up online (phew), but this didn't explain the empty local folder. It looks like, somehow, during the update OneDrive switched itself to Files on Demand..?

Okay, fine, I've switched OneDrive back to local file storage.

HOWEVER, prior to the update I had 128GB of empty storage on my MacBook Pro. Now that I'm re-downloading all of my OneDrive files locally, this has dropped to just 18GB. Yet these files were stored locally before the update, and I still had 128GB of space.

So it looks like OneDrive has duplicated the files on my system, but (1) I can only see one copy, (2) I can't delete the second copy, (3) I have no way to know if this is true or not, but I can't see where else that 110GB of storage has gone.

This is crippling my storage and I can't find a solution elsewhere.

Any advice on this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 1:34 PM

Solution:

For anyone else experiencing this problem, here's what I found – 

During the system update, all files within OneDrive were duplicated to the following location on my system:

/Users/McKplus/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.OneDriveSyncClientSuite/OneDrive.noindex/OneDrive/

I've deleted these hidden duplicates, freeing up that extra 110GB of data

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2023 1:34 PM in response to McKplus

Solution:

For anyone else experiencing this problem, here's what I found – 

During the system update, all files within OneDrive were duplicated to the following location on my system:

/Users/McKplus/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.OneDriveSyncClientSuite/OneDrive.noindex/OneDrive/

I've deleted these hidden duplicates, freeing up that extra 110GB of data

Ventura & OneDrive - hidden duplicate local files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.