Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up music library on an M1 MacBook Pro using iTunes music library from a Windows 10 machine

I setup my new MacBook running ventura 13.1 and copied my iTunes folder from my old windows 10 machine onto an external SSD. When I try to open the music app on my new MacBook and I select the iTunes library.itl file from the drive, I get the message "The folder containing your music library cannot be found". I have a large music library and would appreciate if someone could advise me on how to access/setup/convert my music library to work on my new MacBook pro. Thanks!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 12:04 PM

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community for some background. Migrating from Windows to Mac may work best if the library is in the standard portable shape of an iTunes folder containing an iTunes Media folder.

What format is this external drive in? Music may not be able to work with the database on a FAT32/exFAT drive. You might need to copy the .itl to say ~/Music/iTunes. Hold down alt/option as you launch Music, choose the .itl file, then choose a location to save the new Music library database, normally it goes in ~/Music as ~/Music/Music with the database created inside as ~/Music/Music/Music Library. If you can get the library converted you might have to update the media folder (Music > Preferences > Files) to point to your iTunes Media folder on the external drive, then close and reopen Music to ensure that locates the content correctly.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2023 12:04 PM in response to Calvee

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community for some background. Migrating from Windows to Mac may work best if the library is in the standard portable shape of an iTunes folder containing an iTunes Media folder.

What format is this external drive in? Music may not be able to work with the database on a FAT32/exFAT drive. You might need to copy the .itl to say ~/Music/iTunes. Hold down alt/option as you launch Music, choose the .itl file, then choose a location to save the new Music library database, normally it goes in ~/Music as ~/Music/Music with the database created inside as ~/Music/Music/Music Library. If you can get the library converted you might have to update the media folder (Music > Preferences > Files) to point to your iTunes Media folder on the external drive, then close and reopen Music to ensure that locates the content correctly.

tt2

Setting up music library on an M1 MacBook Pro using iTunes music library from a Windows 10 machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.