Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Music Library - Cleaning it up

What actually happens if I choose to 'reset iCloud music library'?

Will I lose all files I've uploaded?

Will I lose my purchases?

Will I lose downloads from Apple Music?

Does it treat protected files differently from unprotected ones?

These are the sort of queries to which I need answers.

Why do I want to know? - I have a large library and because of crashes and re-installs and imports and being an idiot, somehow I have many duplicates. Sometimes when I've deleted a duplicate and left only a single copy of a track, when I've tried to play it I've been told it couldn't be found. As it played previously I can only assume that somehow one of the duplicates was recognised and one not ... or something of that sort.

So, in short, I want to clean up my library but not lose anything.

I'd appreciate any help.

Mac Mini 2018 32gb 3ghz 6 core i5

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.2

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 10:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 12:59 PM

mikisdad wrote:

If they are not stored locally, yes. Likewise any matched content that is not currently represented by a local file.

No.

Yes.

Yes. You cannot add locally stored Apple Music files to your library. Once disconnected from the library or made invalid by a library reset, you would probably need to manually relocate in Apple Music, add to library, and then download, as you did the first time.

Why do I want to know? - I have a large library and because of crashes and re-installs and imports and being an idiot, somehow I have many duplicates. Sometimes when I've deleted a duplicate and left only a single copy of a track, when I've tried to play it I've been told it couldn't be found. As it played previously I can only assume that somehow one of the duplicates was recognised and one not ... or something of that sort.

I'd appreciate any help.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.2

See Duplicate songs in iTunes/Music - Apple Community. Care needs to taken when removing what appear to be duplicates not to remove the last remaining physical copy. If you've done this, but the item is matched, uploaded, or comes from Apple Music, right-click, remove download, then download it again. Apple Music (the service) should automatically flush or at least mark duplicates. A careful review of the iCloud Status column may give hints as to which tracks can be safely removed. If you have a single copy of track that is marked as Removed right-click and Add to Library to reinstate it. Backup your library before attempting to clean things up in case you get over zealous and need to rewind.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2023 12:59 PM in response to mikisdad

mikisdad wrote:

If they are not stored locally, yes. Likewise any matched content that is not currently represented by a local file.

No.

Yes.

Yes. You cannot add locally stored Apple Music files to your library. Once disconnected from the library or made invalid by a library reset, you would probably need to manually relocate in Apple Music, add to library, and then download, as you did the first time.

I'd appreciate any help.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.2

See Duplicate songs in iTunes/Music - Apple Community. Care needs to taken when removing what appear to be duplicates not to remove the last remaining physical copy. If you've done this, but the item is matched, uploaded, or comes from Apple Music, right-click, remove download, then download it again. Apple Music (the service) should automatically flush or at least mark duplicates. A careful review of the iCloud Status column may give hints as to which tracks can be safely removed. If you have a single copy of track that is marked as Removed right-click and Add to Library to reinstate it. Backup your library before attempting to clean things up in case you get over zealous and need to rewind.

tt2

iCloud Music Library - Cleaning it up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.