Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WIFI speed

How do I determine whether slow internet is a problem with my MacBook, or my router/modem, or the local ISP provider?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 8:22 AM

Last question first; your ISP will have you connect your MacBook directly to their equipment. Usually, it's a modem and its Ethernet port, for which you might need an adapter to connect to your MacBook Pro. If its connection speed is what the ISP is promising, their job is done.

If you suspect poor wireless connectivity, you can use Wireless Diagnostics. Refer to "Use the built-in diagnostic tools" in If your Mac isn't connecting to the internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support.

If you suspect a problem with your Mac, you can use Safari in macOS Recovery: Intro to macOS Recovery - Apple Support.

Evaluate and compare your Internet speed using each of those options.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2023 8:22 AM in response to AxeDF23

Last question first; your ISP will have you connect your MacBook directly to their equipment. Usually, it's a modem and its Ethernet port, for which you might need an adapter to connect to your MacBook Pro. If its connection speed is what the ISP is promising, their job is done.

If you suspect poor wireless connectivity, you can use Wireless Diagnostics. Refer to "Use the built-in diagnostic tools" in If your Mac isn't connecting to the internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support.

If you suspect a problem with your Mac, you can use Safari in macOS Recovery: Intro to macOS Recovery - Apple Support.

Evaluate and compare your Internet speed using each of those options.

WIFI speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.