Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock does not show on external monitor when on left side

Hey there,

I set my Dock to appear on the left side of the screen. On my MacBook screen this works. But on my external I cannot get the Dock to appear like I can when it is on the bottom.

Here is a screenshot of my Dock settings:

Is it possible to use the Dock on the left side on my external monitor too?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 7:16 AM

What you are seeing is expected behavior.

When using extended display, and the Dock is set to one of the sides, the Dock will only appear on edge of the combined display - e.g., if it is on the left, it appears only on the leftmost display.

I have the Dock always hidden on the right side. I, for one, would be very annoyed if it were to appear in the middle of my work, when I am moving the cursor to my left display...

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2023 7:16 AM in response to ghjklöä

What you are seeing is expected behavior.

When using extended display, and the Dock is set to one of the sides, the Dock will only appear on edge of the combined display - e.g., if it is on the left, it appears only on the leftmost display.

I have the Dock always hidden on the right side. I, for one, would be very annoyed if it were to appear in the middle of my work, when I am moving the cursor to my left display...

Jan 21, 2023 12:31 PM in response to ghjklöä

Hello ghjklöä,

Are you using the external display as a mirrored display of the Mac's internal display or is it an extended display?

Are you seeing any Dock at all on the external monitor or does nothing seem to appear?

If nothing appears, try holding the cursor at the edge of where the Dock would appear.

This page can provide some help with using external displays with the Mac as well: Use one or more external displays with your Mac - Apple Support

Cheers.

Jan 25, 2023 6:18 AM in response to Eric_G1

Hello Eric_G1,

Thank you for your response.

I am using the external display as an extended display.

On the external display the Dock appears at the bottom if I set it to appear at the bottom. If I set the position to right or left, it does not appear at all at any edge of the external display. Only on my MacBooks display.

When I set the external display to be the main display and the MacBook display to be the extended display the Dock only shows on my external display.

So either way it only ever shows on the main display and never on the extended display.

It only shows on the main display at the left/right edge when holding/pushing the cursor there.

The article does not mention any settings about the Dock. FYI: I connected the external display via HDMI, it gets recognized by MacOS correctly.

Cheers!

Jan 25, 2023 8:42 AM in response to ghjklöä

Understood Eric_G1,

Now it is expected that the dock will only display on one of the displays based on orientation. So a Left orientation will display on the leftmost monitor and so on. When you push the cursor on the main display, then that indicates to the system that is the active monitor and will move the dock there. It will not, however, display the dock on both simultaneously when they are set as an extended desktop, since the system sees both monitors as one unified space.

Cheers!

Jan 25, 2023 11:14 AM in response to ghjklöä

I think that is probably because by far the most common usage of multiple displays is side by side.

You can use the feedback page to make a request.

If you don't mind my asking, what is it that you use the Dock for? To my mind, it is utterly dispensable, so much so that I have it hidden and used Terminal to increase the delay, so as to avoid it appearing accidentally (one can still show the Dock on demand with Command-Option-D, but in fact I really only use it when testing stuff discussed here in the forum). Switch applications? Command-tab. Switch windows? Command-`. Launch applications? Command-Space (Spotlight), type two or three letters, end. All done without reaching for the trackpad.

Dock does not show on external monitor when on left side

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.