Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use any apple pen with iPad mini 3?

iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 9:52 AM

Apple’s definitive compatibility list for Apple Pencil and iPad can be found here:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

For iPad mini, support for Apple Pencil was introduced with the iPad mini5 onwards; the iPad mini5 supports the first generation Apple Pencil, whereas the iPad mini6 supports the second generation Pencil.

iPad mini1-3 do not support Apple Pencil - as these models lack the specific screen hardware with which the Pencil interacts with the iPad screen.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2023 9:52 AM in response to Jjohnston721

Apple’s definitive compatibility list for Apple Pencil and iPad can be found here:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

For iPad mini, support for Apple Pencil was introduced with the iPad mini5 onwards; the iPad mini5 supports the first generation Apple Pencil, whereas the iPad mini6 supports the second generation Pencil.

iPad mini1-3 do not support Apple Pencil - as these models lack the specific screen hardware with which the Pencil interacts with the iPad screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.