Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macos detected wrong keyboard layout

I'm using an external Logitech keyboard with a German layout but MacOS wrongly identified it as the '<' key (normally next to the left shift key) and the '^' key are switched in position, which is very annoying as a programmer.

I find proposed solutions for this problem by restarting the keyboard detection wizard but to do this I would have to delete the 'com.apple.keyboardtype.plist' file in Library/preferences/ but can't find it on my MacBook.

I also can't find any other way to change to the correct layout (The correct layout is not an option when trying to add a new input layout)

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 1:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 5:15 AM

Thank you for the link. I read it again and apparently I was looking in the wrong preferences folder to delete the '/Library/Preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist' file.

After disconnecting the external keyboard, deleting the file, rebooting and reattaching my external keyboard the wizard was shown again and I could select ISO Europe as layout. Seems to be fixed now. :)

Thank you both for your help!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2023 5:15 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you for the link. I read it again and apparently I was looking in the wrong preferences folder to delete the '/Library/Preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist' file.

After disconnecting the external keyboard, deleting the file, rebooting and reattaching my external keyboard the wizard was shown again and I could select ISO Europe as layout. Seems to be fixed now. :)

Thank you both for your help!

Jan 20, 2023 4:16 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Your keyboard is exactly the layout that I want to have for my external keyboard. But I only get this shown in the keyboard viewer:

And if I press on the physical key, next to the left shift, which does not exist in my keyboard viewer, I get a '^'.

I want to have the layout 'your' layout.

Side note: My internal MacBook Air Keyboard has the correct identified and physical ('your') layout. It is only the external one, that is wrong.

Macos detected wrong keyboard layout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.