Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Stop iOS Software Updates Using Cellular Data?

Since I am on wifi 95% of the time, I am on a by-the-Gig data plan, which typically isn't an issue. Yesterday, my phone told me that I had an update to iOS 16.2 available. I applied the update overnight. This morning I got an email from my cell provider that I've gone over my data limit. The iOS update downloaded over cell even though I was on wifi almost the entire day. (I was probably off of wifi for 20-30 minutes while I was driving.) Why did the entire update use cellular data?

There doesn't seem to be a cellular data setting specifically for this. I have App Store off, Apple Store off but iTunes Store was on, though that wasn't showing as using any data.

My only guess is that the update was made available to my phone during that brief time when I was not on wifi and it just continued to use cellular data to download the entire update.

C'mon Apple! Not all of us have unlimited data plans. So basically, I had to pay $15 to update my phone (the cost of another gig on my data plan). 😡

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 4:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 1:51 PM

Did you find the root cause/solution ? I’m having the same issue, which is so annoying because I’m on pre-paid plan. I purchased 1GB data and all is gone in one day, due to software update, sigh…

I have iPhone 12 and IOS is up to date 16.3.1. I restored twice, restored using backed up date and as a new phone. None worked.

Yes, Automatic Software Update was disabled. WI-FI assist and iCloud Drive are off too. Cellular low data mode is on.

Can anyone help?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2023 1:51 PM in response to avidsailor

Did you find the root cause/solution ? I’m having the same issue, which is so annoying because I’m on pre-paid plan. I purchased 1GB data and all is gone in one day, due to software update, sigh…

I have iPhone 12 and IOS is up to date 16.3.1. I restored twice, restored using backed up date and as a new phone. None worked.

Yes, Automatic Software Update was disabled. WI-FI assist and iCloud Drive are off too. Cellular low data mode is on.

Can anyone help?

Feb 28, 2023 10:20 AM in response to Ukiman0714

I have an iPhone SE running 16.3.1 and also limited data plan. I do not have 5G. I leave cellular data off most of the time. Twice in the last few days I had cellular briefly on and hundreds of Megs used for software updates in system services. After the first time I turned automatic software updates off but it happened anyway. Also, I believe I’m already updated to the latest iOS. Is software updates only iOS? How can I prevent this from happening?

Jan 20, 2023 10:35 AM in response to Axel Foley

Hi Axel,

I have an iPhone 14 Pro with 5G service and, according to Apple, an unlimited data plan. That's a good idea to turn off automatic updates. Hopefully that will solve the issue going forward. Who knows, maybe the next time I am notified I have an update available I'll just switch off cellular data altogether until I get the update completed, LOL. Really surprising iOS doesn't have better logic around these big software updates and wifi vs. cellular.

Mar 5, 2023 5:23 AM in response to souji^^

I would give Apple support a call. If automatic updates were never on, yet it's still downloading updates over cellular in the background, then something's wrong. Please let us know what they have to say.

For myself, once I see there is an update available I make sure I'm on wifi and I download and install it. I don't want to give iOS any chance to download the update itself. I thought there was a notice somewhere that emergency security updates will still download and install, even if auto updates are off. I assumed that meant something outside of their normal iOS updates, but I wonder if there is a critical patch contained in an update if that qualifies. Maybe Apple support can give you some answers.

I still feel that wifi should be the default method of applying large iOS updates. You should have to jump through an extra hoop to tell iOS to download them over cellular.

Mar 1, 2023 4:25 AM in response to avidsailor

Hmm, the only thing I can think is it had to do with having automatic updates turned on for a time. I know that my experience was that once the update began to download, there didn't seem to be a way of stopping it (and I didn't even know it was occurring), other than maybe rebooting or powering off the phone.

Since I've switched off auto updates, "software updates" have only used 2 MB. Unfortunately all the other services have used up about 260 MB in total.

Jan 20, 2023 6:54 AM in response to Ukiman0714

Questions: Which iPhone do you have AND do you have 5G Service on that iPhone?

I ask because you can only update your iPhone using the cellular data if you have an iPhone 12, iPhone 13 or an iPhone 14 AND you have 5G service. If these conditions are not met, then a Wi-Fi Network must be used to update your iPhone.

If you meet the above conditions, then you can choose to turn OFF Automatic Updates by opening Settings ➡️ General ➡️ Software Update ➡️ Automatic Updates: Set all of the switches to OFF. This action will require to update your iPhone manually when you choose to do so.

Axel F.

How to Stop iOS Software Updates Using Cellular Data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.