Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error code -36 when copying a photos library

Hi, I am trying to copy my photos library from an external HD to another external HD using my mac (OS ventura 13.1). After 2 hours of copying, it stops and sends this window message:

The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "photos Library.photolibrary" can't be read or written. (Error code -36).

Somebody knows already how to solve this kind of error. I've tried many methods described in different websites, but it's still the same error coming out!!

PS. Both hard drives are formatted APFS. The photoslibrary size is about 440 GB and the message shows after 290 GB of copying..

Thanks in advance!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 8:04 AM

Is the format of one of the drives case-sensitive and the other not? That could also cause copy problems.

Enable the "Ignore ownership on this volume" flag on both drives.

If you still cannot copy the library, try the method I outlines in my first post here: How to avoid the Error -36 when copying a Photos Library - Apple Community

Copying all the internal files separately will allow you to identify which of the files inside cannot be copied and you can skip it and copy everything else. sometimes ist just a cache created by external editors that cannot be copied.

Alternately, you could simply clone the library with cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner, but then you will not know, which files are defective and should be removed.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2023 8:04 AM in response to danielijah

Is the format of one of the drives case-sensitive and the other not? That could also cause copy problems.

Enable the "Ignore ownership on this volume" flag on both drives.

If you still cannot copy the library, try the method I outlines in my first post here: How to avoid the Error -36 when copying a Photos Library - Apple Community

Copying all the internal files separately will allow you to identify which of the files inside cannot be copied and you can skip it and copy everything else. sometimes ist just a cache created by external editors that cannot be copied.

Alternately, you could simply clone the library with cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner, but then you will not know, which files are defective and should be removed.

Jan 20, 2023 6:35 AM in response to léonie

Thanks Leonie. Actually, I did mention in my question that both hard drives are in APFS format.

The thing is that yesterday I had two drives:

A drive ( Formated EXFat with 8 TB)) and B drive ( formated APFS with 500 GB )

The photos library was at first in the A drive. In order to format the A drive in APFS, I copied the photos Library from A to B drive and then formated the A drive into APFS.

This morning, I wanted to copy the photos Library from B to A drive and it showed the Error -36 !!

Hope I explained exactly what happened and wish you would have a solution for that !! Thanks again..

Jan 27, 2023 3:34 AM in response to léonie

Thanks a lot Léonie. Finally, I did use your method to detect the "bad files" that causing this error!! It was only one video (about 2 GB), all the other files were able to be copied. So I decided to delete this video and then copied the whole library at once with no problem this time :)

Fortunatly a copy of this video was already in my mac, so I imported it from mac to my A drive and voila ... :) it works....

Error code -36 when copying a photos library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.