Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Pro stock Mail app shortcomings

I use stock Mail on my iPhone 14 quite happily so started to use it on my new iPad Pro only to find it a frustrating experience and rather different.

As per the attached screenshots, with iPhone on the bottom, the iPhone allows me to Close/Collapse an e-mail by tapping the sideways chevron (<) on the top left of the screen which seems to be standard on other iPad mail apps such as Gmail  and Outlook. This < does not exist on the iPad stock Mail. All I can do is press the top left square icon to open the email header listing, leaving the email still in the background, instead of it disappearing, until it is covered by another selection from the header list. 

Maybe I've missed something in Settings but, if not, I shall have to revert back to another, more standard mail app.

Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated. TIA

iPad Pro

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 6:30 AM

On an iPad when you tap on an email message on the side panel list, it will replace whatever other email is on the preview pane on the right. It does not leave the previous email opened at all. It closes that email, and opens the other one you selected.

Nothing really out of standard there.

If you need to use a different app, that by all means do so. Use one that fits your needs.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2023 6:30 AM in response to PeterUK38

On an iPad when you tap on an email message on the side panel list, it will replace whatever other email is on the preview pane on the right. It does not leave the previous email opened at all. It closes that email, and opens the other one you selected.

Nothing really out of standard there.

If you need to use a different app, that by all means do so. Use one that fits your needs.

Jan 20, 2023 6:31 AM in response to PeterUK38

Your iPhone and iPad have radically different screen sizes.

The iPhone, due to its much smaller screen, cannot display the full native (or other) Mail client App that you see on your iPad. With its much larger screen, your iPad will show far more of the Mail App window in either its Portrait (per your screenshot) or Landscape screen orientation; for this reason, the manner that you navigate the iPhone Mail App will differ.

IPad Pro stock Mail app shortcomings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.